Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About textbooks

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    hi everybody,

I really want to learn your ideas about textbookson physics. which one is your favorite? of course I am not talking about popular books. I want you to say for example:

classical mechanics-landau
    quantum mechanics-liboff

but only one book on each subject. thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What level do you want to achieve...?Excellency?

Daniel.

4. Jun 6, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

is he a prince?

5. Jun 6, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ha,ha :grumpy:

Daniel.

6. Jun 7, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He's a mathematician.Surprisingly,even mathematicians can be funny.Alright,name the domains in which you want textbook advice and the the amount of mathematics you're willing to swallow.

Daniel.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #6
    I just wanted to learn your favourites... and I dont care about the amount of math. but a good book shouldn't say "we leave the proof as an example...." or "....but the proof of this is beyond the scope of this book...".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  8. Jun 7, 2005 #7
    You ask for a book on each subject?

Do you know how many subjects there are!

9. Jun 7, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no self-contained book.All books have a bibliography,all textbooks have exercises.

Landau & Lifschitz book on classical field theory and J.D.Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics" (the 3rd edition) are the best.

Daniel.

10. Jun 7, 2005 #9
    sorry.. I should have been more clear.

I am asking about undergrad and gradute level, and the books I ask are on subjects like: geometry and topology, quantum mechanics, particle physics, EMT, classical mechanics......I am not into low dimensional field theories yet...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook