1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About textbooks

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    hi everybody,

I really want to learn your ideas about textbookson physics. which one is your favorite? of course I am not talking about popular books. I want you to say for example:

classical mechanics-landau
    quantum mechanics-liboff

but only one book on each subject. thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What level do you want to achieve...?Excellency?

Daniel.

4. Jun 6, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

is he a prince?

5. Jun 6, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ha,ha :grumpy:

Daniel.

6. Jun 7, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He's a mathematician.Surprisingly,even mathematicians can be funny.Alright,name the domains in which you want textbook advice and the the amount of mathematics you're willing to swallow.

Daniel.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #6
    I just wanted to learn your favourites... and I dont care about the amount of math. but a good book shouldn't say "we leave the proof as an example...." or "....but the proof of this is beyond the scope of this book...".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  8. Jun 7, 2005 #7
    You ask for a book on each subject?

Do you know how many subjects there are!

9. Jun 7, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no self-contained book.All books have a bibliography,all textbooks have exercises.

Landau & Lifschitz book on classical field theory and J.D.Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics" (the 3rd edition) are the best.

Daniel.

10. Jun 7, 2005 #9
    sorry.. I should have been more clear.

I am asking about undergrad and gradute level, and the books I ask are on subjects like: geometry and topology, quantum mechanics, particle physics, EMT, classical mechanics......I am not into low dimensional field theories yet...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?