Cheating on PF: Is Permanently Banning The First 100 Thanks Justified?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around whether or not the first person to reach 100 "thanks" on the forum should be banned for potentially cheating. Some members suggest that it is physically impossible to reach 100 thanks so quickly and others suggest that people with multiple accounts or large friend groups could easily manipulate the system. There are also discussions about the "thanks" button and its meaning and whether it is a good manner to use it.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I think the first person to have a 100 thanks should be permanently banned from PF. It's not physically possible to have a 100 thanks so quickly, so he must be cheating.

Likes 2 people
Physics news on Phys.org
Careful micromass. I can click your post's "Thanks" button 100 times fairly quickly. :devil:

dlgoff said:
Careful micromass. I can click your post's "Thanks" button 100 times fairly quickly. :devil:

:frown: you wouldn't do that to poor micro, wouldn't you?

Just sayin' :)

dlgoff said:
Just sayin' :)

* Thinks we should ban dlgoff *

I'll do it if you don't dlgoff. Someone has to stop the menace that is micromass.

May be micromass is right. someone with multiple account/(have large friend group) can easily do that. and It counts as cheating because in that way if (s)he post a crackpot idea then (s)he also get several Thanks.

MathsWolf said:
May be micromass is right. someone with multiple account/(have large friend group) can easily do that. and It counts as cheating because in that way if (s)he post a crackpot idea then (s)he also get several Thanks.

:approve: We can count all anonymous free proxies as one if they come from non-trusted unknown institutes (but this seems like a challenge, likely too complex for a simple script to defy). I don't know the real meaning of Thanks button below each member name but it's nice to say so as well as to know I am thanked for my reply. :blushing: A Good idea of a good manner.

What is "Cheating on PF"?

"Cheating on PF" refers to the act of manipulating or falsifying the number of thanks on a post on the online forum Physics Forums (PF). This can be done by creating multiple accounts or using bots to increase the number of thanks on a post.

Why is permanently banning the first 100 thanks justified?

Permanently banning the first 100 thanks on a post is justified because it is a clear violation of the forum's rules and can undermine the integrity of the thanks system. This can create an unfair advantage for certain users and diminish the value of genuine thanks on the forum.

How does permanently banning the first 100 thanks affect the forum?

Permanently banning the first 100 thanks can help maintain the integrity of the forum by discouraging users from engaging in cheating and manipulation. It also ensures that genuine thanks are given and received, making the forum a more valuable and trustworthy resource for its users.

Are there any alternatives to permanently banning the first 100 thanks?

Yes, there are alternative measures that can be taken to address cheating on PF. These include temporary bans, issuing warnings, and implementing stricter monitoring and enforcement of the forum's rules. However, permanently banning the first 100 thanks may be necessary in severe cases to send a strong message against cheating and protect the integrity of the forum.

How can users help prevent cheating on PF?

Users can help prevent cheating on PF by reporting any suspicious activity or multiple accounts to the forum moderators. They can also refrain from engaging in cheating themselves and instead, give thanks sincerely and genuinely to posts that have helped them. By working together, users can help maintain the integrity of the forum and its thanks system.