Why Is My Calculation of the Absolute Minimum Incorrect?

In summary, this conversation is about finding the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of a function f(x,y) on the region {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 =< 16}. The function has a derivative in terms of theta, but you are not able to solve for the values of theta that give you 0.
DieCommie
I have been understanding these so far but this one it says is wrong, but I can't figure out why.

"Find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of the function f(x,y) = xy - 5 y - 25 x + 125 on the region on or above y = x^2 and on or below y = 29."

I get the absolute max to be =148.15 at (-5/3,25/9), which is correct.
I get the absolute min to be =0 at (5,25), which is wrong, but I can't find any more points of interest, as far as I can see 0 at (5,25) is right

If you have any clues/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not properly examined what happens to f on the boundary of the region.

which boundry? y=29 or y=x^2?

for y=x^2 i get the points (5,25) and (-5/3,25/9)
for y=29 i get no points

I have looked over each one a half dozen times, if you know which one the problem is in, id like to know thx.

Last edited:
Well, I know there's at least one point on "the y = 29 boundary" where f is negative. When you consider what happens to f restricted to y = 29, you are checking the endpoints of the interval (which x can range over) and not just the points where the derivative equals 0, right?

ahhh, because at the endpoints it may be an extrema yet the derivative is non-zero. Got it! Thx alot!

so if my range is a circle, there are no endpoints to check right?

But the entire circle would be the boundary. Write the boundary in parametric equations, plug those parametric equations into the object function to get a function of one variable and then differentiate that.

In this example, where the boundary was the parabola y= x2 and y= 29, you would need to look for max and min of
f(x, 29)= 29x- 5(29)- 25x+ 125= 4x- 145+ 125= 4x- 20 for the y= 29 part of the boundary. That never has derivative 0 so you look for max and min at its endpoints, [itex]x= \pm \sqrt{29}[/itex].

f(x,x2= x3- 5x2- 25x+ 125 has derivative 3x2- 10x- 25 which is never 0 and so you look for max and min at its endpoints, also [itex]x= \pm \sqrt{29}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
ugg, sorry, but now I am even more confused on the next one.

"Find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of the function f(x,y) = 2x^3 + y^4 on the region {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 =< 16} "

When writing the boundry in parametrics, i use x=cos(theta) y=sin(theta)? THis gives me 1=<16 for my boundry...

You have the wrong parametric equations. The boundary is the circle
x2+ y2= 16 (the interior of the circle, < 16, is not the boundary!). The parametric equations are x= 4 cos([itex]\theta[/itex]), y= 4 sin([itex]\theta[/itex]).

And you don't put those into the equation for the boundary (which would give you the trivial 16= 16), you put them into the equation for f:
f(x,y)= f([itex]\theta[/itex])= 2(4)3cos3([itex]\theta[/itex])+ 44sin4([itex]\theta[/itex]).

Thx for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

I have been trying and trying this but I am simply unable to do it. I have the derivative of the boundry function in terms of theta, but I do not know how to solve it and find what values of theta give me 0. I am going to go to the library and try to find a trig. book.

FAQ: Why Is My Calculation of the Absolute Minimum Incorrect?

1. What is an absolute maximum and absolute minimum?

An absolute maximum is the highest point on a graph or function, while an absolute minimum is the lowest point on a graph or function. These points represent the maximum and minimum possible values of a function within a given domain.

2. How are absolute max and absolute min different from relative max and relative min?

Relative max and relative min refer to the highest and lowest points within a specific interval of a function, while absolute max and absolute min refer to the highest and lowest points over the entire domain of a function.

3. How can I find the absolute max and absolute min of a function?

To find the absolute max and absolute min of a function, you can use a variety of methods such as graphing, taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero, or using the first or second derivative test. It is important to also check the endpoints of the domain to ensure that the absolute max and absolute min are not located outside of the given domain.

4. What is the significance of absolute max and absolute min in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, absolute max and absolute min represent the highest and lowest possible values for a given situation. For example, in economics, the absolute max may represent the highest possible profit a company can make, while the absolute min may represent the lowest possible cost of a product.

5. Can a function have multiple absolute max or absolute min?

No, a function can only have one absolute max and one absolute min over its entire domain. This is because the absolute max and absolute min represent the highest and lowest points on a graph or function, respectively, and there can only be one highest or lowest point.