Is ln|sin x| equivalent to ln sin x?

In summary, the given expressions are not equivalent as the domain of the logarithm function is restricted in the second expression.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

y = ln | sin x |

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt at a solution, because it's more of a "which part of this is incorrect" question.

y = ln | sin x |

Would everyone agree that this is equivalent?

[itex]y = ln \sqrt{(sin x^2)}[/itex]

Then by properties of logarithms:

[itex]y = \frac{1}{2}ln (sin x^2)[/itex]

And again,

[itex]y = \frac{2}{2}ln sin x[/itex]

or

[itex]y = ln sin x[/itex]

So then, ln|sin x| is equivalent to ln sin x?

Is this true? If so, is it just essentially a visual demonstration of the domain of the logarithm function?

(note that I'm having trouble placing the 2 power on "sin" but I'm sure you all know what I mean, (sin x)^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

y = ln | sin x |

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt at a solution, because it's more of a "which part of this is incorrect" question.

y = ln | sin x |

Would everyone agree that this is equivalent?

[itex]y = ln \sqrt{(sin x^2)}[/itex]

Then by properties of logarithms:

[itex]y = \frac{1}{2}ln (sin x^2)[/itex]

And again,

[itex]y = \frac{2}{2}ln sin x[/itex]

or

[itex]y = ln sin x[/itex]

So then, ln|sin x| is equivalent to ln sin x?

Is this true? If so, is it just essentially a visual demonstration of the domain of the logarithm function?

(note that I'm having trouble placing the 2 power on "sin" but I'm sure you all know what I mean, (sin x)^2)

Go back to the beginning, think about the domain.

As far as I can tell, the domain agrees with what I did..

1MileCrash said:
As far as I can tell, the domain agrees with what I did..

What is the domain?

Greater than 0... so ln | x | has a range of all real numbers. So what's wrong with the steps I took above that says ln x = ln | x |?

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me, a little vague..

1MileCrash said:
Greater than 0... so ln | x | has a range of all real numbers. So what's wrong with the steps I took above that says ln x = ln | x |?

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me, a little vague..

Oh. Have you mentioned x > 0 earlier? My mistake if so ... otherwise ... how would we know?

I thought the idea is to show what's wrong with the definition of y ... which is that the original function has a problem with its domain. But if you already know that x > 0 is the domain, then what are you supposed to do with this problem? What question is being asked?

ps ... what about x < 0 ?

Last edited:
Hi 1MileCrash! :smile:

The problem does not put a limit on the domain.
So for instance x = -pi/3 would be an acceptable value.

If you substitute that in the original and also into the final expression, are the results then the same?

Btw, the log function is only defined for positive numbers.

For [itex]y = \frac{1}{2}\ln \sqrt{(sin^2 x)}[/itex], the domain is all reals except fo the zeros of the sine function.

For [itex]y = \frac{2}{2}\,\ln \sqrt{(sin\, x)}[/itex], the domain is all reals for which sin(x) > 0 .

Therefore, these expressions are not equivalent.

1. What is the absolute value of a number?

The absolute value of a number is the distance of the number from zero on the number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of the sign of the number itself. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a negative number?

To find the absolute value of a negative number, you simply drop the negative sign. For example, the absolute value of -8 is 8.

3. What are the basic rules for absolute value?

The basic rules for absolute value include:

• The absolute value of a positive number is the number itself.
  • The absolute value of a negative number is the number without the negative sign.
  • The absolute value of zero is zero.
  • The absolute value of a sum is equal to the sum of the absolute values of each term.
  • The absolute value of a product is equal to the product of the absolute values of each factor.

4. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve exponential equations and represents the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given value. For example, in the equation 2^x = 8, the logarithm base 2 of 8 is 3.

5. What are the basic rules for logarithms?

The basic rules for logarithms include:

• The logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each factor.
  • The logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.
  • The logarithm of a power is equal to the product of the exponent and the logarithm of the base.
  • The logarithm of a number raised to its own power is equal to the exponent.
  • The logarithm of 1 to any base is always 0.