Absolute Values and Inequality understanding

In summary, the equation |x-c| < 1 can be rewritten as |x| - |c| ≤ 1, which is true because of the symbol ⇒ (or as mentioned, it makes no difference). However, if it were ⇔, then understanding Homogeneity and Subadditivity would also be necessary to fully understand the problem.
jzapata87

Homework Statement

I saw this in my real analysis textbook and I have been trying to understand how this equation [tex]\left | x-c \right |< 1 [/tex]

you can get this:[tex] \left | x \right |\leq \left | c \right | + 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

I wanted to know what steps made this possible , particularly why it changed from [tex]< to \leq [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking was that, they did this because it makes no difference as to if you put [tex]< or \leq [/tex]

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]|x|-|c|\leq |x-c| < 1 \Rightarrow |x|-|c| \leq 1[/tex]
This one is true because of the symbol [tex]\Rightarrow [/tex] (or as you said, it makes no difference). Things would be different if it were [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex].

hikaru1221 said:
[tex]|x|-|c|\leq |x-c| < 1 \Rightarrow |x|-|c| \leq 1[/tex]
This one is true because of the symbol [tex]\Rightarrow [/tex] (or as you said, it makes no difference). Things would be different if it were [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex].

You forgot to tell the young man that to understand this problem he also needs to understand two of the three basic norms Homogeneity and Subadditivity

1. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive number, regardless of the original number's sign.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a number?

To find the absolute value of a number, you simply remove the negative sign (if any) and keep the number as it is. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5.

3. What is the difference between an absolute value and an inequality?

An absolute value is a single number, while an inequality is a mathematical statement comparing two numbers using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. The absolute value of a number represents its distance from zero, while an inequality shows the relationship between two numbers.

4. How do you solve absolute value inequalities?

To solve absolute value inequalities, you first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you set up two separate equations, one with a positive sign and one with a negative sign, and solve for the variable in each equation. The resulting solutions will form the two boundaries of the solution set.

5. Why are absolute values and inequalities important in science?

Absolute values and inequalities are important in science because they allow us to represent and manipulate quantities that can take on both positive and negative values. This is particularly useful in physics and chemistry, where values such as velocity and temperature can be both positive and negative. Inequalities also help us make comparisons and draw conclusions about data in experiments and observations.