Absolutely STUCK on a 2nd derivative

In summary, the conversation was about finding the second derivative of a given function using the Chain Rule and Quotient Rule. The person got stuck and asked for help, and another person provided the correct second derivative expression. The purpose of multiplying by 2 in the denominator and numerator was to simplify the expression to match the one in the book.
mateomy
Absolutely STUCK on a 2nd derivative!

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the second derivative of y= [tex]\sqrt{x^2+x-2}[\tex]

Homework Equations

I know I have to use the Chain Rule and the Quotient Rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've gotten the first derivative (checking the book) to make sure I am right...

y'= [tex]\frac{\2x+1}{2\sqrt{x^2+x-2}[\tex]

Moving on...I've managed to set up the 2nd as so...

y''=[tex]\frac{(x^2+x-2)^2(2)-(2x+1)(1/2)(x^2+x-2)^-1/2(2x+1)}{2(x^2+x-2)^3/2}[\tex]

And this is where I get stuck, because the book ends up getting something like...

y''=[tex]\frac{-4x^2-4x-10}{4(x^2+x-2)^3/2}[\tex]

I can't figure out how they get that in the end. When I factor out the [tex](x^2+x-2)[\tex] from the top and bottom my numerator looks waaaay off. Is it something I am doing with the factoring/canceling of the forementioned term?

Physics news on Phys.org

mateomy said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the second derivative of y= [tex]\sqrt{x^2+x-2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know I have to use the Chain Rule and the Quotient Rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've gotten the first derivative (checking the book) to make sure I am right...

y'= [tex]\frac{2x+1}{2\sqrt{x^2+x-2}}[/tex]

Moving on...I've managed to set up the 2nd as so...

y''=[tex]\frac{(x^2+x-2)^2(2)-(2x+1)(1/2)(x^2+x-2)^-1/2(2x+1)}{2(x^2+x-2)^3/2}[/tex]

And this is where I get stuck, because the book ends up getting something like...

y''=[tex]\frac{-4x^2-4x-10}{4(x^2+x-2)^3/2}[/tex]

I can't figure out how they get that in the end. When I factor out the [tex](x^2+x-2)[/tex] from the top and bottom my numerator looks waaaay off. Is it something I am doing with the factoring/canceling of the forementioned term?

Fixed your latex. Remember that the right side is [/tex] not [\tex]

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I am reading on how to use LaTeX right now. Again, thanks.

Hello there,

here is the problem, your second derivative is wrong it should be:

y"= [2(x^2+x-2)^(1/2)-( {((2x+1)^2)/(2(x^2+x-2)^(1/2))} )] /(2(x^2+x-2))

then what you have to do is multiply by (x^2+x-2)^(1/2) both the numerator and the denominator

thus you'll obtain this form :

y" = (2(x^2+x-2)-(2x+1)^2)/(2(x^2+x-2)^(3/2))

all you have to do now is develop the numerator of this expression and you'll get this :

y" = (-2x^2-2x-5)/(2(x^2+x-2)^(3/2))

here you go, and to get the exact one like the book, u have to multiply by 2 both numerators and denominators... Your book should have done the simplification already though...

joeghal87 said:
Hello there,

here is the problem, your second derivative is wrong it should be:

y"= [2(x^2+x-2)^(1/2)-( {((2x+1)^2)/(2(x^2+x-2)^(1/2))} )] /(2(x^2+x-2))

then what you have to do is multiply by (x^2+x-2)^(1/2) both the numerator and the denominator

thus you'll obtain this form :

y" = (2(x^2+x-2)-(2x+1)^2)/(2(x^2+x-2)^(3/2))

all you have to do now is develop the numerator of this expression and you'll get this :

y" = (-2x^2-2x-5)/(2(x^2+x-2)^(3/2))

here you go, and to get the exact one like the book, u have to multiply by 2 both numerators and denominators... Your book should have done the simplification already though...

Thanks, but I am still confused. Why would you want to multiply the denominator and numerator by 2? I know it will make the expression match what I have in the book, but what would be the ultimate purpose (besides and answer match) to doing the multiplication?

Super appreciative for the help, btw.

the purpose : absolutely nothing at all :) actually your book just didn't simplify the expression to the fullest... if you divide by 2 the numerator and deminator in the final expression reached from the book, you get to the one I found... like I said, they should have done the simplification themselves :)

and you're welcome ! anytime :)

Thank you so much. I've been pacing around all morning trying to figure out why that looked the way it did.

And now...on to yet more problems.

THANKS!

1. What is a 2nd derivative and why is it important in science?

A 2nd derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a rate of change. In science, it is important because it helps us understand how quantities are changing over time and how they relate to each other.

2. How do you calculate a 2nd derivative?

To calculate a 2nd derivative, you need to take the derivative of the derivative. In other words, you take the derivative of the original function, and then take the derivative of that new function. This will give you the 2nd derivative.

3. Can you give an example of a real-world application of the 2nd derivative?

One example is in physics, where the 2nd derivative is used to calculate acceleration from velocity data. Another example is in economics, where the 2nd derivative is used to determine the rate of change of a country's GDP.

4. What does it mean if the 2nd derivative is zero?

If the 2nd derivative is zero, it means that the rate of change of the rate of change is constant. In other words, the original function is either increasing or decreasing at a constant rate.

5. How can understanding the 2nd derivative help in problem-solving?

Understanding the 2nd derivative can help in problem-solving by providing information about the behavior of a function. It can help determine the maximum and minimum values of a function, and whether the function is concave up or down. This information can be useful in optimizing a system or determining the behavior of a physical phenomenon.