Absorption coefficient per unit path length determined for excitation

In summary: Maybe Sakurai's book on quantum mechanics would be useful to you. Look up "absorption" or "golden rule" in the appendix. Good luck!
vincectec
How is the absorption coefficient per unit path length determined for excitation sites in a host crystal with an excitation site density of N and a bandgap of the excitation site equal to the photon energy? What I am trying to determine is how many photons will be absorbed for a given length.

Physics news on Phys.org

vincectec said:
How is the absorption coefficient per unit path length determined for excitation sites in a host crystal with an excitation site density of N and a bandgap of the excitation site equal to the photon energy? What I am trying to determine is how many photons will be absorbed for a given length.

Fermi's golden rule.

OK but I don't know about Hamiltonian and Eigen functions and have never solved a Schrodinger equation. So, with this in mind can you direct me to a first principles text that will prepare me to deal with "Fermi's Golden Rule" knowing that I don't have the above prerequisites but do have some calculus capability?

What I am trying to do is determine: for excitation cites of density N, how many electrons will be released into the conduction band, assuming that the stimulus photons have an energy equal to the bandgap energy of the excitation site.

vincectec said:
OK but I don't know about Hamiltonian and Eigen functions and have never solved a Schrodinger equation. So, with this in mind can you direct me to a first principles text that will prepare me to deal with "Fermi's Golden Rule" knowing that I don't have the above prerequisites but do have some calculus capability?

What I am trying to do is determine: for excitation cites of density N, how many electrons will be released into the conduction band, assuming that the stimulus photons have an energy equal to the bandgap energy of the excitation site.

Maybe Sakurai's book on quantum mechanics would be useful to you. Look up "absorption" or "golden rule" in the appendix. Good luck

What is an absorption coefficient per unit path length?

An absorption coefficient per unit path length is a measure of how much light is absorbed by a material per unit distance traveled. It is often used to determine the efficiency of light absorption in a substance.

How is the absorption coefficient per unit path length determined?

The absorption coefficient per unit path length is typically determined by measuring the intensity of light before and after it passes through the material. The difference in intensity is then used to calculate the absorption coefficient.

What factors can affect the absorption coefficient per unit path length?

The absorption coefficient per unit path length can be affected by the wavelength of the incident light, the thickness and composition of the material, and the temperature and pressure of the environment.

Why is the absorption coefficient per unit path length important?

The absorption coefficient per unit path length is important because it allows us to understand how a material interacts with light. This information can be used in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

How does the absorption coefficient per unit path length relate to the excitation of a material?

The absorption coefficient per unit path length is closely related to the excitation of a material because it measures the amount of energy that is absorbed by the material when it is excited by light. This information can be used to study the behavior and properties of the material.