Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorption coefficient per unit path length determined for excitation

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    How is the absorption coefficient per unit path length determined for excitation sites in a host crystal with an excitation site density of N and a bandgap of the excitation site equal to the photon energy? What I am trying to determine is how many photons will be absorbed for a given length.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Re: Bsee

Fermi's golden rule.

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3

OK but I don't know about Hamiltonian and Eigen functions and have never solved a Schrodinger equation. So, with this in mind can you direct me to a first principles text that will prepare me to deal with "Fermi's Golden Rule" knowing that I don't have the above prerequisites but do have some calculus capability?

What I am trying to do is determine: for excitation cites of density N, how many electrons will be released into the conduction band, assuming that the stimulus photons have an energy equal to the bandgap energy of the excitation site.

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Maybe Sakurai's book on quantum mechanics would be useful to you. Look up "absorption" or "golden rule" in the appendix. Good luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook