Abstract Algebra: define an operation

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a group operation and whether the given rule satisfies the conditions of a group action. The participants suggest checking the rule for the defined conditions and provide a link for more information. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the individual can continue with the problem.
murmillo

Homework Statement

Does the rule g*x = xg^-1 define an operation of G on G?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know what this means. Could someone just tell me what it means for a rule to define an operation of one group on itself? I should be able to figure it out from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I see. OK, thanks, I can take it from here.

So you have to prove that (gh)*x=g*(h*x)
[tex](gh)*x=x(gh)^{-1}=x(h^{-1}g^{-1})=(xh^{-1})g^{-1}=(h*x)g^{-1}=g*(h*x)[/tex]

1. What is an operation in abstract algebra?

An operation in abstract algebra is a mathematical function that takes in one or more elements and produces a result. It is a fundamental concept that is used to define various algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields.

2. What are the basic properties of an operation in abstract algebra?

There are four basic properties that an operation must satisfy in abstract algebra: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. Closure means that the result of the operation on any two elements in the set must also be an element in the set. Associativity means that the order in which the operation is performed does not affect the result. Identity means that there exists an element in the set that, when operated on with any other element, returns the original element. Invertibility means that for every element in the set, there exists another element that, when operated on together, returns the identity element.

3. How is an operation represented in abstract algebra?

An operation in abstract algebra is typically represented using symbols, such as +, -, ×, or ÷. The operation is then defined using a set of rules or equations that determine the output of the operation based on the input elements. For example, the operation of addition in a group can be represented as a + b = c, where a and b are elements in the set and c is the result of the operation.

4. What is the difference between a binary and unary operation in abstract algebra?

A binary operation is an operation that takes in two elements and produces a result, while a unary operation takes in only one element and produces a result. In abstract algebra, both types of operations are used to define different algebraic structures. For example, addition (+) is a binary operation in a group, while the operation of taking the inverse (−1) is a unary operation in a field.

5. Can an operation be defined on any set in abstract algebra?

No, not all sets can have operations defined on them. In order for an operation to be defined, the set must satisfy the four basic properties of closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. If a set does not have these properties, an operation cannot be defined on it. For example, the set of all odd numbers does not have closure under addition, so addition cannot be defined as an operation on this set.