Proving H as a Subgroup of S5 | Abstract Algebra Help

In summary, G is a group and H is a subgroup of G consisting of the elements e, (132), (243), (314), (421), (123), (234), (341), (12)(34), (13)(24), (14)(23).
JasonJo
1) prove that H is a subgroup of S5 (the permutation group of 5 elements). every element x in H is of the form x(1)=1 and x(3)=3, meaning x moves 1 to 1 and moves 3 to 3. does your argument work hen 5 is replaced by a number greater than or equal to 3?

2) Let G be a group. prove or disprove that H={g^2:g is an element of H} is a subgroup.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is H in 1?

For 2, note that it is a subgroup if G is abelian, but the proof of this should show there's no reason to expect it to be true in general, and it shouldn't be hard to find a counterexample.

StatusX said:
What exactly is H in 1?

For 2, note that it is a subgroup if G is abelian, but the proof of this should show there's no reason to expect it to be true in general, and it shouldn't be hard to find a counterexample.

i actually fouund that out also but I am having a very hard time finding an example. maybe I am just not seeing it?

Just look at some non-abelian groups. You only need to find some elements a and b of G such that aabb is not the square of any element of b. Note a must not commute with b. S_3 is the smallest non-abelian group, but the associated H is A_3, a subgroup, so this won't work. Try A_4, S_4, etc.

edit:

so ridiculously lost

Last edited:
Well, I said the smallest non-abelian group, S_3, won't work. The next smallest is A_4, and it does work. One way to prove this is to show the size of the set of elements which are squares does not divide the order of the group. EDIT: Not that it really matters, but, I realized A_4 isn't the next smallest. There are the dihedral groups, etc.

Last edited:
i get that |G| = 12 and |H| = 12

i have that A4={e, (123), (234), (341), (412), (132), (243), (314), (421), (12)(34), (13)(24), (14)(23)}

then i get that H= {e, (132), (243), (314), (421), (123), (234), (341), (12)(34), (13)(24), (14)(23)}

or i get that G= G^2 = H

what am i doing wrong?

What element a has a^2=(12)(34)?

oooh thanks!

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, and their operations and properties. It is considered an abstract study because it focuses on the underlying structures and not specific numerical values.

2. Why do we need Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a fundamental tool for understanding and solving problems in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and cryptography. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some common topics in Abstract Algebra?

Some common topics in Abstract Algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. These topics cover the basic algebraic structures and their properties, such as how they can be combined and manipulated.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Abstract Algebra?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of Abstract Algebra is to practice solving problems. It is also helpful to study the fundamental concepts and definitions and to work through proofs to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any useful resources for learning Abstract Algebra?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Abstract Algebra, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to join a study group or seek guidance from a tutor or professor.