Abstract Algebra Order of Permutation

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the orders of permutations by first identifying the orbits or cycles, determining the order of each one, and finding the least common multiple of all the orders. The importance of the identity permutation was also discussed, with its fundamental role in algebraic structures and its representation as a permutation made up of 1-cycles.
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

See image.

Untitled-56.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am finding the orders of permutations.

I know that you first find the orbits or cycles I don't know the difference (but I should).

This is what my professor said:

If you have (1345)(897) the orders are 4 and 3 respectively. If 4 and 3 are relatively prime then you just multiply 4 and 3 to get 12. So the order of the both is 12.

Now if you have (1345)(6,7,8,9,10,11) the orders are 4 and 6 respectively. So now you look at the Least Common Multiple

4, 8, 12 and 6, 12 and so the order is the least common multiple which is 12.

But in my problem I have (135)(264)(7), 7 is fixed and I don't know what to do when I have 3 of them.

The orders should be 3, 3, 1, but I don't know how to combine them to get the order of the entire thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fellowroot! :smile:
Fellowroot said:
… Now if you have (1345)(6,7,8,9,10,11) the orders are 4 and 6 respectively. So now you look at the Least Common Multiple

4, 8, 12 and 6, 12 and so the order is the least common multiple which is 12.

But in my problem I have (135)(264)(7), 7 is fixed and I don't know what to do when I have 3 of them.

The orders should be 3, 3, 1, but I don't know how to combine them to get the order of the entire thing.

Remember what "order" of a permutation P means …

it means the (smallest positive) number n for which Pn = the identity

and that means that Pnx = x, for all x

Sooo … you need Pnx = x, for all x in (135),

Pnx = x, for all x in (264),

Pnx = x, for all x in (7).​

For the first, that's n = 3 6 9 12 …

For the second, that's also n = 3 6 9 12 …

For the third, that's n = 1 2 3 4 …

You get the picture? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Fellowroot! :smile:Remember what "order" of a permutation P means …

it means the (smallest positive) number n for which Pn = the identity

and that means that Pnx = x, for all x

Sooo … you need Pnx = x, for all x in (135),

Pnx = x, for all x in (264),

Pnx = x, for all x in (7).​

For the first, that's n = 3 6 9 12 …

For the second, that's also n = 3 6 9 12 …

For the third, that's n = 1 2 3 4 …

You get the picture? :smile:

Thanks for your response.

So I think I get it now.

An order to find the order of a permutation you first identify all of its orbits and write them out as a product.

You look at each one and determine the order of each one.

Then for each order number you write out its multiples.

You look at all the multiples and you look for the smallest number they all have in common.

This smallest number is your n, and if you take your permutation and raise it to the n power you get the identity.

All the identity is, is a permutation where each element is fixed (has no cycles) and the orbits are one element subsets of the original permutation.

In my original problem I have n = 3 6 9 12 …, n = 3 6 9 12 …, and n = 1 2 3 4...

So the LCM is 3, and if I do P^3 you do indeed get the identity! Yea!

But may I ask, what is so important about the identity permutation?

Also many times I see the identity in the form of a^n = e, where e is the identity, but really what is e? Is e really just a^0?

If e is an identity, is it also a permutation identity? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Fellowroot! :smile:
Fellowroot said:
You look at all the multiples and you look for the smallest number they all have in common.

Which of course goes by the name of "least common multiple"! :wink:
But may I ask, what is so important about the identity permutation?

That's like asking "what is so important about the number zero?"

The identity is fundamental to any algebraic structure.

It's the simplest possible element.
Also many times I see the identity in the form of a^n = e, where e is the identity, but really what is e? Is e really just a^0?

If e is an identity, is it also a permutation identity? Thanks.

yes, e is the permutation (a)(b)(c)(d)…, made up of all the possible 1-cycles

as a function, it is defined by e:a -> a, e:b -> b, etc :smile:

1. What is the Order of a Permutation?

The order of a permutation is the number of elements in the set that the permutation is acting on. It represents the number of times the permutation needs to be applied to return to the original order.

2. How is the Order of a Permutation Calculated?

The order of a permutation can be calculated by finding the least common multiple of the cycle lengths in its cycle decomposition. Alternatively, it can be calculated by raising the permutation to different powers until it returns to the identity permutation.

3. Can the Order of a Permutation be Negative?

No, the order of a permutation is always a positive integer. It represents the number of times the permutation needs to be applied to return to the original order, so it cannot be negative.

4. Does the Order of a Permutation Affect its Group Properties?

Yes, the order of a permutation affects its group properties. For example, if the order of a permutation is a prime number, then the permutation is a cyclic permutation and generates a cyclic subgroup. If the order is not prime, then the permutation generates a non-cyclic subgroup.

5. How is the Order of a Permutation Related to the Concept of Inverse?

The order of a permutation is related to the concept of inverse in that the inverse of a permutation has the same order as the original permutation. This means that applying the permutation and its inverse the same number of times will result in the identity permutation.