1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC RC finding voltages before/after switch

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    The problem is in bold and my logic/answers/questions are below. Please check my logic and any help with my uncertainties would be...well, helpful. thx

The switch has been in position 1 for a long time. Determine the voltage drop Vc(0) and V0(0-).

Since it has been a long time the capacitor acts as an open circuit so the current through the capacitor is 0ma and the current around the outer window is 12v/4k=3ma so V0(0-) is 3v. Current Ic is zero but was flowing to the right (contrary to the arrow drawn). Vc(0) is 12v since it has been a long time and the capacitor has charged fully.

The switch is thrown to position two at t=0. What is V0(0+)?

At t=0 the capacitor acts as a short and discharges in the direction that Ic is drawn. I3 is now 4ma. Since the cap is a short does all of the current flow into the cap so that V0(0+) is 0v for that moment?

Find the time constant and V0(t>5tc).

t=RC=3k*0.1 [tex]\mu[\tex]f=300[tex]\mu[\tex] s and after 5tc the capacitor is once again fully charged so all of the current is going the R1 and R2 so that V0(t>5tc) is 3v again.

write an expression for V0(t>=0)

it will look like a logarithmic curve starting at 0 and leveling at (3 or -3v??) after 5tc, but i dont really know the eq for it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    here's the diagram....and im not sure why latex didnt work...and i just realized i titled the thread AC, but its DC. sorry 'bout that

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?