1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate time constant in RC circuit

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Hello.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the time response, Vc(t), of the circuit shown in the attached image. Not use Laplace transforms.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that tau = RC in a typical RC circuit.

In general, Vc(t) = {V0 - Vf}*exp(-t/tau) + Vf, where V0 is initial voltage and Vf is final voltage.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Once charged, the capacitor behaves like a short-circuit, so I can calculate that Vf = 2,5 V. In addition, V0 = 0 V. So, I only need to know the value of tau. How could I calculate it without using Laplace transforms?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

• RC.png
      RC.png
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Actually, when a capacitor is charged, no more current flows through it so it acts like an open circuit.

General procedure: remove sources from the circuit by shorting any voltage sources and opening any current sources. Then find Req as it would appear across the capacitor terminal (tau = CReq).

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know about Thevenin equivalent circuits? Lewando's suggestion follows from finding the Thevenin equivalent of what's connected to the capacitor.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Assume currents i1, i2, etc., in the various branches, and determine the node voltages. The voltage across the capacitor is 1/C*(integral of i).dt
    You should find capacitor current i = Re.Vs

The voltage as a function of time is obtained by solving the first order differential equation. The time constant of the exponential in the time response is Re*C

* I used Re to represent the term by which you divide Vs. The term has units of resistance and it appears in the calculations when you are determining capacitor current.

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5
    Thank you.

I've just solved the problem: Vc(t) = 2.5(1-exp(-200t))u(t).

7. Dec 26, 2011 #6
    Isn't the equivalent resistance is 5kohm?

8. Dec 27, 2011 #7

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you show your calculation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook