1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelation problem, how do I change units (km/h to m/s)?

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    I made a mistake I meant km/h to m/s^2.
    1. ThrustSSC, the world's first supersonic car, accelerates from rest to 1000km/h in 16 s. What is its acceleration in m/s?

2.a=v/t = v-v0/t-0

3. I'm not sure how to change units (Professor didn't show me.), so can you please now all the work to the problem? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Use dimensional analysis, first you should convert the speed from km/h to m/s. Whats the conversion between kilometers and meters? And hours to seconds? The first is easy, 1000m = 1km. The second is 1h = 3600s. Simply multiply the speed by the correct conversion factors to get your result.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Re: Accelation problem, how do I change units (km/h to m/s^2)?

Wait I'm sorry I meant km/h m/s2.

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Do as Pengwuino says: First convert km/h to m/s.

Hint: 1 km = how many meters? 1 hr = how many seconds? Substitute!

6. Aug 22, 2009 #5

1 km=1000m 1 hr = 3600s I'm not sure how to convert it to m/s^2 Unless I'm suppose to square the 3600, right?

7. Aug 22, 2009 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

So this guy accelerated by 1000km/h in 16 s. That's 62.5 km/h every second. What's 62.5 km/h in m/s?

8. Aug 22, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You don't want to divide by the time it took him to reach that speed in the first step. If you did, you'd have something with units km/(h*s) which isn't what you want. Put your answer into m/s and then you can divide by the time in seconds which will result in a m/s^2 answer. Fill in the blanks here:

[tex]\[
    \frac{m}{s} = \frac{{km}}{h}*\frac{{1h}}{{?s}}*\frac{{?m}}{{1km}}
    \]

[/tex]

9. Aug 30, 2009 #8
    I understand now velocity is m/s, plugging it into a formula (say acceleration = change in velocity/time) time=s velocity= m * s^-1 m * s^-1 * s^-1=m/s^-2=m/s^2

Thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook