Accelerated electron photon emission

In summary, the conversation discusses the classical and quantum understanding of an accelerated electron emitting radiation and the implications for the behavior of electrons in an atom. It is noted that the classical interpretation of an electron orbiting the nucleus is not consistent with quantum mechanics.
Greenie
Classically, I think it is correct to say that Maxwell implies an accelerated electron will "radiate"

What is the quantum take on this please? In particular, what determines the wavelength of the emitted photon?

PS I may ahve asked something like this before, but I never found an answer. This is a re-phrasing of the question.

PPS I know one should not try to interpret what the maths says in practical terms! cf, maths of a car's front suspension is same as how you tune a radio, but my radio is not made of springs and shock absorbers!

Thanks

David

Physics news on Phys.org
Greenie said:
Classically, I think it is correct to say that Maxwell implies an accelerated electron will "radiate"

What is the quantum take on this please? In particular, what determines the wavelength of the emitted photon?
It is the same quantum mechanically. That is why the electron in an atom cannot be said to orbit the nucleus, as otherwise it would be accelerating and thus emit radiation and lose energy. Instead, quantum mechanics showed that the electron is in a stationary state around the nucleus.

1. What is accelerated electron photon emission?

Accelerated electron photon emission is a phenomenon in which high energy electrons, either naturally occurring or artificially accelerated, emit photons as they pass through a medium or interact with other particles. This can occur in a variety of contexts, such as in particle accelerators or natural processes like lightning.

2. How does accelerated electron photon emission occur?

Accelerated electron photon emission occurs when high energy electrons are accelerated or undergo a change in direction. This acceleration or change in direction causes the electrons to release energy in the form of photons. This can happen through a variety of mechanisms such as bremsstrahlung, synchrotron radiation, or inverse Compton scattering.

3. What is the significance of accelerated electron photon emission in scientific research?

Accelerated electron photon emission is significant in scientific research because it allows us to study the properties of particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in various technological applications such as medical imaging, materials science, and nuclear energy.

4. How is accelerated electron photon emission related to the concept of energy conservation?

Accelerated electron photon emission is related to the concept of energy conservation because the emission of photons by the accelerated electrons represents a transfer of energy from the electrons to the photons. This process follows the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

5. Can accelerated electron photon emission be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, accelerated electron photon emission can be controlled or manipulated through various techniques such as changing the energy and direction of the electrons, altering the properties of the medium they pass through, or using magnetic fields to guide the path of the electrons. This allows scientists to study and harness this phenomenon for various practical applications.