Calculating Acceleration of a Car using Power and Time

In summary, the car of mass 880.0 kg is accelerating on a horizontal road with a speed of 13.8 m/s. The net power supplied by the engine is 3700.0 W, in addition to the extra power needed to compensate for air resistance and friction. To calculate the acceleration, the equation for power is used, and after solving for time, the acceleration is determined to be 0.607 m/s^2. However, it is then mentioned that the differential form of power should be used, which is calculated as the force multiplied by velocity. With this, the correct acceleration is found.
Punchlinegirl
A car of mass 880.0 kg accelerates away from an intersection on a horizontal road. When the car speed is 13.8 m/s, the net power which the engine supplies is 3700.0 W ( in addition to the extra power required to make up for air resistance and friction). Calculate the acceleration of the car at the time.

I used the equation for power. P= change in work/ t
3700= (1/2)mv^2 / t
3700=83793.6 t
I solved for t to get 22.7 s.
I then used the equation for acceleration, change in v/ change in t
a= 13.8-0/ 22.7-0
and got the a to be .607 m/s^2
This wasn't right.

Can someone help me out? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the differential form: [tex] P = \frac{dW}{dt} = F v [/tex]. So the power is the force times the velocity, can you now find the acceleration?

Ok I got it.. thanks a lot!

1. What is the definition of "accelerating car & power"?

"Accelerating car & power" refers to the process of increasing the speed of a car by supplying it with additional power, typically through the use of an engine or motor.

2. How does accelerating a car affect its fuel efficiency?

Accelerating a car can decrease its fuel efficiency, as it requires more energy to increase the car's speed. However, maintaining a consistent speed can help improve fuel efficiency.

3. Are there any environmental impacts of accelerating a car?

Yes, accelerating a car can contribute to air pollution, as it increases the emissions of harmful pollutants from the car's exhaust. It also consumes more fuel, which can contribute to carbon emissions and contribute to climate change.

4. What factors influence the acceleration of a car?

The main factors that influence the acceleration of a car include the engine/motor power, vehicle weight, aerodynamics, and traction/tire grip. Other factors such as road conditions and driver behavior can also play a role.

5. Can accelerating too quickly damage a car?

Yes, accelerating too quickly can put extra strain on the car's engine and components, potentially leading to damage or premature wear and tear. It can also increase the risk of accidents, as it may be harder to control the car at higher speeds.