Accelerating charge emits em waves or pulse

In summary, based on the Lienard Wiechert potentials and Larmor radiation, an accelerating charge, such as one turning a corner, emits a pulse rather than an electromagnetic wave. This is consistent with the concept of wiggler radiation, where the radiation is confined in time and has a broader spectrum.
God Plays Dice
Does an accelerating charge, such as one turning a corner emit an em wave or just a pulse? Classical logic dictates it should just be a pulse as there is no oscillation. But which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me be more specific. An electron in a magnetic field, not synchotron radiation as this is a spiralling electron

Sry but I don't understand all those hyroglifics. Just intuitively is a free electron similar to an antenna, where I assume a half wavelength pulse can be created or is it a different case

God Plays Dice said:
Sry but I don't understand all those hyroglifics
Then in the future please mark your threads as "B" instead of "I". The math in that link is standard vector calculus from undergraduate level physics.

I have updated this thread for you.

God Plays Dice said:
Classical logic dictates it should just be a pulse as there is no oscillation. But which is it?
Taking the case of wiggler radiation as an analogy to the kind of motion you are considering, a Wiki link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiggler_(synchrotron)) says "A wiggler has a broader spectrum of radiation than an undulator". This suggests that the radiation is indeed confined in time, or is commonly referred as a pulse. By the way, light pulse does not necessarily implies that the pulse length is short enough such that one cycle of the carrier frequency cannot be covered. A pulse is usually described as an oscillation under a localized envelope.

What is an accelerating charge?

An accelerating charge refers to any charged particle that is experiencing a change in its velocity, either an increase or decrease. This change in velocity results in the emission of electromagnetic waves or pulses.

How do accelerating charges emit electromagnetic waves or pulses?

When an accelerating charge moves, it creates a changing electric field around it. This changing electric field then creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn creates a changing electric field, and so on. This continuous cycle of changing electric and magnetic fields results in the emission of electromagnetic waves or pulses.

What is the relationship between the acceleration of a charge and the frequency of the emitted electromagnetic waves?

The frequency of the emitted electromagnetic waves is directly proportional to the acceleration of the charge. This means that the higher the acceleration of the charge, the higher the frequency of the emitted waves.

What factors affect the intensity of the emitted electromagnetic waves or pulses?

The intensity of the emitted electromagnetic waves or pulses is affected by the acceleration of the charge, the distance from the source of the waves, and the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling. Additionally, the angle at which the waves are emitted also plays a role in the intensity.

What are some real-life examples of accelerating charges emitting electromagnetic waves or pulses?

Some examples of accelerating charges emitting electromagnetic waves or pulses include lightning strikes, radio and television transmissions, and the movement of charged particles in a particle accelerator. Additionally, the motion of electrons in an antenna can also result in the emission of electromagnetic waves that are used for communication purposes.