Accelerating wedge at angle above the horizontal with friction

In summary, the problem is to find the minimum acceleration required to keep a block on a ramp that is being pushed at an angle to the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction is 0.4 and gravity is 10.0m/s/s. The equations to use are Fnet = ma and FfStatic = uFn, along with w = mg. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the normal force and the weight of the block, as well as the forces perpendicular to the net force. The final answer is 3.84, which can be achieved by having an acceleration of 3.84 ms-2. The normal force needs to be 12.5 in order for the friction force to be 5N,
PhoniexGuy

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/4821/fileeq.jpg

So, the problem is to find the minimum acceleration required to keep the block on the ramp, when the ramp is being pushed at an angle to the horizontal (so going diagonally)

I know that the coefficient of static friction is 0.4 and gravity is 10.0m/s/s

Homework Equations

I think these are what i need to use:

Fnet = ma
FfStatic = uFn
And maybe need w = mg?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, honestly i have no idea what to do, the final answer is 3.84, but i don't get how to get it.

I tried to do something like this: Fn = 10*sin(30)/0.4 = 12.5, and then the friction force is 0.4*12.5 = 5.0, but no idea what that means. Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are all the forces on the block? You have mg, Fn and uFn, right? In what direction is the net force on the block? What equation can you write down for the forces perpendicular to the net force?

i don't have the weight of the block, the problem doesn't state that. Is it in the direction the applied force is pushing? I honestly don't know...

PhoniexGuy said:

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/4821/fileeq.jpg

So, the problem is to find the minimum acceleration required to keep the block on the ramp, when the ramp is being pushed at an angle to the horizontal (so going diagonally)

I know that the coefficient of static friction is 0.4 and gravity is 10.0m/s/s

Homework Equations

I think these are what i need to use:

Fnet = ma
FfStatic = uFn
And maybe need w = mg?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, honestly i have no idea what to do, the final answer is 3.84, but i don't get how to get it.

I tried to do something like this: Fn = 10*sin(30)/0.4 = 12.5, and then the friction force is 0.4*12.5 = 5.0, but no idea what that means. Any help?

I am not surprised.

The problem refers to the minimum acceleration on the block.

I have only ever seen acceleration used with of, not on - such as what is the minimum acceleration of the block. Is that what is meant here?

It is also a pity that the diagram is so poor. That 30 degree angle is drawn as almost 45, so the visual feedback you are getting is not overly helpful.

With a 30 degree ramp, and a force applied at 60 degrees to the horizontal, it actually means the force, and thus acceleration, is perpendicular to the contact surface.

Now to this problem.

If the block and ramp were stationary you can calculate the component of the weight [mg] acting down the slope, and the component perpendicular to the slope [Fn].
Than enables you to calculate the friction [μ.Fn]

You will see that the friction force is less than the weight component down the slope - so the block would most certainly slip down the ramp.

You could then calculate how much additional friction - achieved by having a larger Normal Force, Fn, - is needed in order for the block not to slip.

Finally, every one of those forces will have an m factor in them - since we are not told the mass of the block - and by reference to Newton's Second law F = ma, we might see that of the extra force needed was 3.84m Newtons, then that could be achieved by having an acceleration of 3.84 ms-2, which was their answer. You just have to check whether your calculations yield that figure of 3.84.

Note: I have "bolded" each reference to m as mass so that it can be distinguished from the m as the unit, metres.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that's what i don't get, how do i get the normal force, and the weight and stuff if i only have gravity and nothing else?

PhoniexGuy said:
But that's what i don't get, how do i get the normal force, and the weight and stuff if i only have gravity and nothing else?

You have geometry! the ramp is at 30o so one of them will be mgsin30o and the other will be mgcos30o

You now have to work out which one is which.

EDIT: and on the way through you will not have just numbers, you will always have a number multiplied by m

So it like Fn = m*g*sin(30)? Why are you using sin 30.

PhoniexGuy said:
So it like Fn = m*g*sin(30)? Why are you using sin 30.

I didn't use sin 30; you did.

I said use sin30 and cos30 but that you would have to work out which one to use for which Force.

You better read the following:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/U3L3e.cfm

Wow, thanks that makes a lot more sense.

Okay, so I got the normal force is Fn = Fg*cos(30) = 8.66N, and I know that F|| = Fg * sin(30) = 5.00 N, how do I get the acceleration now? Since if I do, 0.4*Fn = 3.4 is wrong, but I need 3.84, why am I off?

PhoniexGuy said:
Okay, so I got the normal force is Fn = Fg*cos(30) = 8.66N, and I know that F|| = Fg * sin(30) = 5.00 N, how do I get the acceleration now? Since if I do, 0.4*Fn = 3.4 is wrong, but I need 3.84, why am I off?

The figures match up if the mass is 1 kg - but I won't worry about that detail at the moment.

you have that the friction force is only 3.464 N, whereas the component of weight down the slope is 5 N. [you should not have rounded off the friction to 3.4]

How much bigger would Fn have to be in order for the friction to be 5N ?

Needs to be 12.5 since 5/.4 = 12.5, then 12.5 - 8.66 = 3.84! Yay, thanks for the help mate!

1. What is an accelerating wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction?

An accelerating wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction is a physical system where a wedge-shaped object is placed on a surface at an angle above the horizontal and is subjected to a force that causes it to move in a certain direction. Friction, which is the resistance between two surfaces in contact, plays a significant role in determining the acceleration of the wedge.

2. How does friction affect the acceleration of a wedge at an angle above the horizontal?

Friction plays a major role in determining the acceleration of a wedge at an angle above the horizontal. It creates a force that opposes the motion of the wedge, thereby reducing its acceleration. The higher the friction between the wedge and the surface, the lower the acceleration will be.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction?

The acceleration of a wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction is affected by various factors. These include the angle of the wedge, the weight of the wedge, the coefficient of friction between the wedge and the surface, and the applied force on the wedge.

4. How can the acceleration of a wedge at an angle above the horizontal be calculated?

The acceleration of a wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the difference between the applied force and the force of friction.

5. What are some real-life applications of an accelerating wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction?

An accelerating wedge at an angle above the horizontal with friction has many practical applications. It is used in various mechanical devices, such as ramps, wedges, and screws, to lift heavy objects. It is also used in vehicles, such as trucks and bulldozers, to move heavy loads. In addition, it is used in sports equipment, such as sleds and skis, to increase speed and control on snow or ice.