Acceleration, a kid, a sled and frictionless surface

In summary, a child weighing 214 N is sitting on a sled being pulled by a horizontal force of 53 N on a frictionless surface. The acceleration of the child and sled can be calculated using the basic kinematic equations or by using trigonometry to determine the components of the force. The weight of the child represents the force of gravity acting on them. The frictionless surface means that there is no opposing force acting on the sled. The resulting acceleration of the child and sled can be found by considering the relationship between force and acceleration and the units should always be included in calculations.
Trigulus
A child sitting on a sled is pulled by a rope along a frictionless surface. The child and the sled weigh 214 N and the horizontal force on the sled is 53 N. What is the acceleration of child and sled?

I am new and in the process of printing and posting the PDF flyer at my local community college. Kudos to the Admin here for putting together.

okay... I am trying to solve simply by going 214cos(53), 214sin(53) also trying to use the basic 4 kinematic equations but have hit a wall. A friend told me about this forum so here I am.

Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Trigulus said:
A child sitting on a sled is pulled by a rope along a frictionless surface. The child and the sled weigh 214 N and the horizontal force on the sled is 53 N. What is the acceleration of child and sled?

I am new and in the process of printing and posting the PDF flyer at my local community college. Kudos to the Admin here for putting together.

okay... I am trying to solve simply by going 214cos(53), 214sin(53) also trying to use the basic 4 kinematic equations but have hit a wall. A friend told me about this forum so here I am.

Thanks in advance !

What does the 214N actually represent? What direction does it act?

128.79 ?

Trigulus said:
128.79 ?

Please show all of your work that lead you to that number. Please also include units in your equations.

Things to consider:

1) How are force and acceleration related?
2) What does the "weight" represent?
3) What are the implications of the frictionless surface?

Hi Trigulus, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Trigulus said:
128.79 ?
What are the units associated with that number?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How does a kid on a sled experience acceleration on a frictionless surface?

On a frictionless surface, there is no force opposing the motion of the sled, so the kid will experience constant acceleration. The sled will continue to gain speed until an external force, such as air resistance or a change in surface, slows it down.

What factors affect the acceleration of a kid on a sled?

The acceleration of a kid on a sled is affected by the mass of the sled and the kid, the force applied by the kid to push the sled, and the surface on which the sled is sliding. On a frictionless surface, these factors will not affect the acceleration.

How does friction impact the acceleration of a kid on a sled?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can slow down or stop an object. On a frictionless surface, there is no friction, so it does not impact the acceleration of a kid on a sled. However, on a surface with friction, the force of friction will act against the motion of the sled and decrease its acceleration.