Solving Newton's Law Problem: Force on the Rope w/ 56N Sled

In summary, a child holding a sled on a frictionless, snow-covered hill at a 25 degree incline exerts a force of 23.67 N on the rope, based on the weight of the sled being 56 N. However, this method is incorrect as it only accounts for the downward component of the force. An equal force must also be exerted upward along the hill to cancel it out.
xtitanx09

Homework Statement

A child holds a sled on a frictionless, snow-covered hill, inclined at an angle of 25 degrees.If the sled weighs 56 N, find the force exerted on the rope by the child.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a right triangle with 56N as the hypotenuse. I then figured the x component of force, or the force exerted on the rope by the child, to be 56sin25. I got 23.67N but when I submitted this it was wrong am I missing something here.

IMAG0053.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That answer looks right to me.
The method is not. The 56 N acts straight down, and 56*sin(25) is the component acting downward along the hill. An equal force upward along the hill is needed to cancel it.

Related to Solving Newton's Law Problem: Force on the Rope w/ 56N Sled

1. What is Newton's Second Law and how does it apply to this problem?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this problem, the force on the rope is equal to the mass of the sled (56N) multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How do we calculate the force on the rope in this problem?

To calculate the force on the rope, we use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the sled, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the force on the rope is equal to 56N multiplied by the acceleration.

3. What is the role of the rope in this problem?

The rope acts as a medium through which the force of the sled is transferred to the person pulling it. It also helps to distribute the force evenly across the person's hands and body.

4. How does the mass of the sled affect the force on the rope?

The mass of the sled directly affects the force on the rope. According to Newton's Second Law, the force is directly proportional to the mass. This means that a heavier sled will require a greater force to accelerate it.

5. How can we use this problem to understand real-life situations?

This problem can help us understand how forces are applied and transferred in real-life situations. For example, it can help us understand how a person pulling a heavy object uses a rope to distribute the force and make it easier to move the object.