Acceleration and for direction

In summary: A and B with angle θ between them, is A "dot" B = |A| |B| cosθand the |B| cosθ bit is just the component of B in the direction of A :smile:Hope that helps!In summary, in a crate being accelerated by a dragline at an angle with only horizontal movement, the acceleration can be calculated using the horizontal component of the force, which can be found using trigonometry. To calculate the work done, the horizontal component of the force should be used as the displacement is in the horizontal plane. The scalar product or dot product can also be used to find the work done by multiplying the magnitude of the force and
junkie_ball
Hi,

I've just started studying a mechanical engineering course and have a real newbie question. If i have a force acting on a object at an angle to it above the horizontal that will be providing the velocity but the object will be moving along the horizontal to work out the acceleration will i need to calculate it using the force acting on it at the angle or the resultant horizontal force?

I hope that make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi junkie_ball! welcome to pf! :wink:
junkie_ball said:
If i have a force acting on a object at an angle to it above the horizontal that will be providing the velocity but the object will be moving along the horizontal to work out the acceleration will i need to calculate it using the force acting on it at the angle or the resultant horizontal force?

you use the horizontal component (not "resultant" … a resultant is the force that results from adding two or more forces :wink: … though you can say "resolved") of the force

the reason is that everything has to be in the same direction …

the velocity (and the acceleration) is purely horizontal, so you resolve everything into horizontal components :smile:

What determines the acceleration is the net force on the object. If the object only moves horizontally, you know that the net force has no vertical component. So all you need worry about is the horizontal component of the force.

Thanks for the replies. So if i get this correctly i need to work the acceleration out on the horizontal. I have attached a diagram of the question. I'm not looking for an overall answer but clarification of my thinking.

In the attached the crate will be accelerated using a dragline at an angle but only move along the rollers horizontally. As such i will need to calculate the acceleration using the horizontal force which i can work out with trig. Is that correct?

Attachments

• Doc3.doc
    122 KB · Views: 213
hi junkie_ball! :wink:
junkie_ball said:
In the attached the crate will be accelerated using a dragline at an angle but only move along the rollers horizontally.

As such i will need to calculate the acceleration using the horizontal force which i can work out with trig. Is that correct?

yes, that's correct :smile:

(and yes, the horizontal component is the force times cos of the angle between)

tiny-tim said:
hi junkie_ball! :wink:

yes, that's correct :smile:

(and yes, the horizontal component is the force times cos of the angle between)

Thanks for the confirmation! :approve:

Hi thanks for all you previous replies most helpful in my understanding. I now have one further query on the problem i attached in my previous post. To calculate work done i understand the equation is:

Work Done = Force x Displacement

As my displacement is in the horizontal plane does this mean i calculate the WD by using the horizontal force which i have worked out using trig or do i need to use the 50N force connecting the crate and motor? I'm assuming it's the horizontal force?

junkie_ball said:
I'm assuming it's the horizontal force?
Yes, you need to use the component of force in the direction of the displacement, in this case horizontal.

if you understand the scalar product (dot product), it's actually

Work Done = Force "dot" Displacement :wink:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or in units of gravity (g). This can be done using various tools such as accelerometers or by using equations with known values for velocity and time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity describes how fast an object is moving, while acceleration describes how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either speed up or slow down an object's motion, depending on its direction. If acceleration is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase its speed. If acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the object's speed.

5. How does the direction of acceleration impact an object's movement?

The direction of acceleration is important because it determines the direction in which an object will change its velocity. If acceleration is in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will continue to move in that direction but with a greater speed. If acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will eventually cause the object to come to a stop and potentially change direction.