How Do You Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a Two-Crate System?

In summary, the conversation discusses two crates on a frictionless surface, with a woman wearing golf shoes applying a horizontal force of 50.0 N to a 6.00kg crate. The conversation also includes a discussion of drawing free body diagrams for each crate and the woman, finding the acceleration of the 6.00kg crate, and determining the tension in the rope connecting the two crates. The solution to finding the acceleration is correctly determined to be 5m/s^2, but the mass used in the calculation is incorrect as it is stated in grams instead of kilograms. In addition, the tension in the rope is found to be equal to the force applied, which is 50N.
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

2 crates shown in the figure below are on a horizontal frictionless surface. The woman is wearing golf shoes for traction as she applies a horizontal force of f= 50.0 N to the 6.00kg crate. The ropes are of negligible mass.

a) draw a free body diagram for each of the crates and the woman and for each force, indicate what body exerts that force.

b) What is the acceleration of the 6.00kg crate?

c) what is the tension T in the rope connecting the 2 crates.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8195/picture2xo8.th.png

Homework Equations

F= ma

I don't know the equation for tension though...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well would the free body diagram show the forces going in different directions?
I assume so but for the other box and woman how would that look?

b.) F= ma
I know it's that equation but how do I find out how much is the acceleration since there are 2 boxes but I have to find the acceleration of the first one?
do I add the masses and assume that the acceleration is the same for both? I think that it would be logical ..so

F= 50N
a=?
m= smaller box + larger box = 4.00kg + 6.00kg= 10.00kg= 10,000g

F= ma
50N= 10,000g*a

a= 5e-3m/s^2

Is this correct?

~Thanks~

P.S I really need to do this question by today...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the woman, it would be 50N on to the left(thats how much she applies) n 50N to right(thats frictional force, remember she doesn't move).
for the other box, only force acting is tension towards right(thats why it accelerates)

your solution to B) is correct

its the same as applied by the woman, ie 50N

oh no, look for the units in your calculations, i missed them in first go

So is the units incorrect or the problem??

so there isn't any calculation for tension?? it's just 50 N??

and wouldn't the acceleration be in m/s^2...why is it incorrect?

Can someone PLEASE help me with this question?? I need to finish this question by today and I need help...or at least I think I do

~Thanks alot~

F is kg*m*s^(-2).
acceleration is m*s^(-2)
so mass should be in Kg, not in "grams", as you have taken
and thus acceleration comes out to be (with a lil help from my calculator) as 5m/s^2

also tension is equal to the force applied, so 50N

Oh okay Thanks for clearing that up for me =D

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear velocity, while angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's rotational velocity. Linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²), while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

4. How does tension affect acceleration?

Tension is a force that pulls on an object, and it can either increase or decrease an object's acceleration depending on its direction. For example, if a rope is pulling an object in the same direction as its motion, it can increase the object's acceleration. However, if the tension is pulling in the opposite direction, it can decrease the object's acceleration or even cause it to decelerate.

5. Can tension be negative?

Yes, tension can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the tension force is opposite to the direction of the object's motion. In this case, the tension force is acting to slow down the object's motion, resulting in a negative acceleration.