Acceleration and Velocity Direction

In summary, when an object is moving in a constant direction with an acceleration, the velocity after a certain length of time will be greater than the original velocity.
HonestMed
Hi all!I am studying for MCAT physics and have couple of questions (see topic title).

Please see the pictures attached. (Pardon my art skills).

In the first scenario, a is perpendicular to v. Does that mean that object will move same direction as a, but with constant speed, since acceleration (a) has no x component?

In the second scenario, object will move NE, same direction as a, but its speed will increase, since acceleration a has an x component. Is that right?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PhysicsPic1.jpg
    PhysicsPic1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
Look at each of those diagrams and ask yourself "What will the velocity (resultant) be after one second, then two seconds, then two hours, assuming the acceleration vector is constant (magnitude and direction)?"
I assume that you know how to add vectors so all that's necessary is that you apply that carefully. You will get the answer all by yourself.

PS Powerpoint is worth while getting to know, intimately. :wink:

sophiecentaur said:
Hi
Look at each of those diagrams and ask yourself "What will the velocity (resultant) be after one second, then two seconds, then two hours, assuming the acceleration vector is constant (magnitude and direction)?"
I assume that you know how to add vectors so all that's necessary is that you apply that carefully. You will get the answer all by yourself.

PS Powerpoint is worth while getting to know, intimately. :wink:

Sophiecentaur,

Thanks for getting back to me, and yea I guess I should use PP, but I just wanted to impress everyone with my "paint" skills. JK :)

In the first case, a=0, so v initial=v final, with the object moving NE. After 1 sec, 2 sec or two hours, object still moves at the same speed. Right?

In the second case, a= some value (let's say it's x), so v final still points NE, but after 1 sec, 2 sec and 2 hours, object is increasing its speed respectively, as long as Delta V/Delta T ratio remains=x

? But doesn't an acceleration of a mean that the velocity in that direction increases by a m/s every second? How can the speed and direction remain the same?

Of course, if a is zero, there will be no change.

I think you are just trying to jump to a conclusion that you fancy without getting there rigorously.

What does acceleration mean, for instance? Apply that in your calculation, then.

Um maybe I am misunderstanding here

first example acceleration is at right angles to the direction of travel

I prefer to take as example a spacecraft moving at velocity
acceleration is applied 90 degrees to the direction of motion

I would think the spaceship would move in a new direction due to the combination of its original velocity and the applied acceleration

I use the example of a spacecraft here as an easy way to see

But I probably misundertood the question

Some idea of Vectors is necessary here. It's not really a suitable problem for arm waving.
The word "vector" doesn't have to bring on the pains, though.

At all times, there will be a velocity vector in the original direction but, as time progresses, the velocity in the direction of the acceleration vector will increase at a metres per second every second. At any time you will have two vectors to add together. Eventually, the v vector in the direction of the acceleration will be so big that it dominates.

This is just like throwing a stone off the side of a cliff. By the time it gets to the bottom, it is traveling almost vertically.

There, I've done it for you.
:smile:

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It can be thought of as how quickly an object's speed is changing. Velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of position over time. It includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration for the same amount of force.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's speed is increasing in the same direction as its motion. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration or acceleration in the opposite direction, occurs when an object's speed is decreasing in the opposite direction of its motion.

4. How does the direction of velocity change affect acceleration?

The direction of velocity change can affect acceleration in two ways. If the direction of velocity change is the same as the direction of motion, it will result in a positive acceleration. But if the direction of velocity change is opposite to the direction of motion, it will result in a negative acceleration or deceleration.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the total change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function at a specific time.