Maximizing Runner's Acceleration: The Role of Friction

In summary, a runner's acceleration cannot exceed 10µ ms^-2 due to the maximum frictional force of μ*m*g acting on her in the forward direction while running. This is because she pushes her foot backward, causing the point of contact to move backward, and the resulting frictional force enables her to move in the forward direction. The maximum frictional force is μ*m*g.
furor celtica

Homework Statement

Explain why a runner’s acceleration cannot exceed 10µ ms^-2, where µ is the coefficient of friction between her shoes and the track.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here I have a big problem, I have no idea which formula to use to model this type of motion or resolve these forces. I think they want me to deduce it or something, I would be tempted to use a=F/m=10mµ/m where F=10mµ, i.e. the model for a frictional force, with g=10 for normal reaction 10m and µ coefficient of friction. But this doesn’t take into account any of the forces exerted by the runner except for her weight, which looks like a clumsy model to me…
Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just observe the process of walking or running.
She pushes the foot backward. The motion of the point of contact is therefore backward. Hence the frictional force on her is in the forward direction which enables her to move in the forward direction. The maximum frictional force is μ*m*g.

thanks

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object is speeding up, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration or retardation) occurs when an object is slowing down. The sign of the acceleration (positive or negative) indicates the direction of the change in velocity.

4. How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can slow down or prevent acceleration. In some cases, friction can even cause deceleration or changes in direction. The amount of friction present will depend on the type of surface and the force of the object's motion.

5. How can we reduce friction to increase acceleration?

One way to reduce friction and increase acceleration is by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface. Another way is by reducing the surface area in contact between two objects, such as using wheels instead of sliding objects. Additionally, increasing the force or decreasing the mass of an object can also reduce friction and increase acceleration.