Acceleration in Two Dimensions of watercraft

In summary, a watercraft with an initial velocity of 6.4 m/s [E] undergoes an average acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 [S] for 2.5 s. To find the final velocity, the velocities should be separated into x and y components and the equations of motion can be used to solve for each coordinate separately. The final velocity in the x direction is 6.4 m/s [E] and the final velocity in the y direction is 0 m/s [N]. Therefore, the final velocity of the watercraft is 6.4 m/s [E].
chudzoik

Homework Statement

A watercraft with an initial velocity of 6.4 m/s [E] undergoes an average acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 for 2.5 s. What is the final velocity of the watercraft?

Homework Equations

vf = vi + a * t
a = v / t
v = v2 + (-v1)
pythagoras and cosine law?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to separate the velocities into x and y components and calculate the final velocity in both the x and y components to find the final velocity, but I don't know if that's correct. To be honest I don't really know where how to start the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chudzoik said:
I think I need to separate the variables into x and y components and calculate the final velocity in both the x and y components to find the final velocity, but I don't know if that's correct.
Yep, that's how you should do it. You've got the x acceleration and y acceleration, and so you can solve the equations of motion for each coordinate separately.

But I don't think I have enough known variables to do that. If I use vfx = vix + ax * t then I don't have ax and I don't have the initial velocity in the y direction either so I can't figure out the final velocity in the y direction.

Yes, you do have ax, because the question says that the acceleration is only in the south direction.
And you do know the initial velocity in the y direction, because the question says that the initial velocity is purely to the east.

So they are both 0 then? I think that clears up a lot of my confusion with this problem.

Yep. that's right

1. What is acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft?

Acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft refers to the rate of change of velocity in both the horizontal and vertical directions. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the watercraft.

2. How is acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft calculated?

Acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft?

Several factors can affect acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft, including the power and design of the watercraft, surface conditions (such as waves and currents), and external forces like wind and drag.

4. How does acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft relate to motion?

Acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft is a crucial component of motion, as it determines how quickly and in which direction the watercraft changes its position. A higher acceleration can result in a faster change in velocity and therefore a faster motion.

5. Why is understanding acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft important?

Understanding acceleration in two dimensions of watercraft is important for several reasons. It allows us to predict how a watercraft will move and perform in different situations, helps us optimize and improve the design and performance of watercraft, and is essential for safe navigation and control of watercraft.