1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration in Two Dimensions

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A watercraft with an initial velocity of 6.4 m/s [E] undergoes an average acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 for 2.5 s. What is the final velocity of the watercraft?

2. Relevant equations
    vf = vi + a * t
    a = v / t
    v = v2 + (-v1)
    pythagoras and cosine law?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to separate the velocities into x and y components and calculate the final velocity in both the x and y components to find the final velocity, but I don't know if that's correct. To be honest I don't really know where how to start the question.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yep, that's how you should do it. You've got the x acceleration and y acceleration, and so you can solve the equations of motion for each coordinate separately.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    But I don't think I have enough known variables to do that. If I use vfx = vix + ax * t then I don't have ax and I don't have the initial velocity in the y direction either so I can't figure out the final velocity in the y direction.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yes, you do have ax, because the question says that the acceleration is only in the south direction.
    And you do know the initial velocity in the y direction, because the question says that the initial velocity is purely to the east.

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    So they are both 0 then? I think that clears up a lot of my confusion with this problem.

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yep. that's right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook