Acceleration of a horizontal system with friction

In summary, the conversation involved determining the tension and acceleration of a system consisting of two blocks connected by a rope being dragged by a horizontal force. Using Newton's second law, the net force was found to be equal to the mass times the acceleration, with the net force being the applied force minus the friction forces. This led to the correct tension value, but the acceleration value was incorrect due to using the formula F = ma - fk instead of F - fk = ma. The errors may have canceled each other out in this case, but it is best to always use the correct formula.
bolivartech

Homework Statement

Two blocks connected by a rope of negligible mass are being dragged by a horizontal force (Fig. P5.43). Suppose F = 68.0 N, m1 = 12.0 kg, m2 = 18.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.100. (a) Draw a free-body diagram for each block. (b) Determine the tension T and the magnitude of the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

F = ma - fk

fk = μkmg

The Attempt at a Solution

68.0 N = (12.0 kg + 18.0 kg)*a – (0.100)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2) – (0.100)(18.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2)

a = [68.0 N + (0.100)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2) + (0.100)(18.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2)]/(12.0 kg + 18.0 kg)

a = 3.25 m/s2

T = ma - fk

T = (12.0 kg)( 3.25 m/s2) - (0.100)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2)

T = 27.2 N

The tension of T is correct according to the answer key in the book but my acceleration is not. I cannot understand this since the acceleration I have is what I used to determine T. The book states a = 1.29 m/s2

The only thing I can think of is that since friction is involved that there must be a vertical acceleration that must be taken into account then I could square each acceleration of the x and y direction, add them and take the square root. Am I on the right track and how would I determine the acceleration in the y direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
bolivartech said:
68.0 N = (12.0 kg + 18.0 kg)*a – (0.100)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2) – (0.100)(18.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2)
Newton's 2nd law tells us:
ΣF = ma

The net force will be the applied force minus the friction forces.

Doc Al said:
Newton's 2nd law tells us:
ΣF = ma

The net force will be the applied force minus the friction forces.

I get that. That is how I setup the problem. I have the net force, and the total mass, and the friction forces. What I didn't have was the acceleration. So with basic algebra I calculated what I thought was acceleration. Then to determine the force on the string connecting the two blocks I used the acceleration I found times the mass of second block minus the friction of just that block. So why isn't that acceleration correct?

bolivartech said:
I get that. That is how I setup the problem. I have the net force, and the total mass, and the friction forces. What I didn't have was the acceleration. So with basic algebra I calculated what I thought was acceleration.
Your equation (that I quoted) is incorrect. Find the net force (on the left hand side) and set it equal to ma.
Then to determine the force on the string connecting the two blocks I used the acceleration I found times the mass of second block minus the friction of just that block. So why isn't that acceleration correct?
That reflects a similar error. Again, set the net force equal to ma, then solve for the tension.

Last edited:
68.0 N – (0.100)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) – (0.100)(18.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = (12.0 kg + 18.0 kg)*a

I must have misinterpreted this in class or from the book. So it's not F = ma - fk but instead F - fk = ma

So is it just a coincidence that the Tension worked out before? I get the same answer with the a = 1.29 when I use the formula F - fk = ma

bolivartech said:
68.0 N – (0.100)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) – (0.100)(18.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = (12.0 kg + 18.0 kg)*a
There you go.

I must have misinterpreted this in class or from the book. So it's not F = ma - fk but instead F - fk = ma
Right. It's best to think in terms of Fnet = ΣF = ma. (All forces go under ΣF.)

So is it just a coincidence that the Tension worked out before?
Maybe you're just lucky? :wink: (I didn't check, but I suppose the two errors canceled themselves. Don't count on it!)

Well I had a similar issue in class when doing a frictionless problem dealing with two objects, one pushing against the other. In the example first given they were level, and in the problem we work they were on an incline. Before the teacher started I worked it out exactly as the example getting the right answer, I checked after doing the work. She then did the example using the the angle given to compensate for the force or gravity and the normal. I understand why she did it that way but when I asked why it worked out right without using the angle, I asked if it was a coincidence, she didn't have an answer except to say, "If you do it that way you won't get credit." Good enough for me I guess, but sometimes I just really want to know. And what you said at least makes sense, they likely did cancel out since I made same error twice by using the formula incorrectly. Thanks so much for the help, I will be posting a lot more now that I know I can get exactly the kind of assistance I need, not the answer but how to get it yourself. ;-)

1. What is acceleration in a horizontal system with friction?

Acceleration in a horizontal system with friction is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. In other words, it measures how quickly the velocity of an object is changing in a specific direction.

2. How is acceleration affected by friction in a horizontal system?

Friction can act as a resistant force that opposes motion, therefore it can decrease the acceleration of an object in a horizontal system. The amount of friction present depends on the surface materials and the force pressing the two surfaces together.

3. How can the acceleration of a horizontal system with friction be calculated?

The acceleration of a horizontal system with friction can be calculated using the formula a = Fnet/m, where Fnet is the net force acting on the object and m is the mass of the object. This formula takes into account any frictional forces present, as it is the difference between the applied force and the frictional force.

4. What factors can influence the acceleration of a horizontal system with friction?

Aside from friction, the acceleration of a horizontal system can also be influenced by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the mass and shape of the object. Additionally, the surface materials and any external forces such as air resistance can also affect the acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a horizontal system with friction ever be equal to zero?

Yes, the acceleration of a horizontal system with friction can be equal to zero if the net force acting on the object is also equal to zero. This would mean that the applied force and the frictional force are balanced, resulting in no change in velocity and therefore no acceleration.