Acceleration of blocks on a slope

In summary: B from A (so that the RHS is 3a), those first two terms on the LHS should be minusii] but your B equation is wrong if you're measuring a downwards (ie, if B is going down) …then a = mg - T, not T - mg
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Two blocks are connected by a string that goes over an ideal pulley. Block A has a mass of 3.00 kg and can slide over a rough plane inclined at 30 degress to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the plane is 0.400. block B has a mass of 2.77 kg. What is the acceleration of the blocks?

Homework Equations

fk = ukFn

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn - 3gcos(30)
Fn = 25.4611

fk = 0.4*25.4611
= 10.1845

Using force diagrams I identified the forces acting on the blocks to be:

T is the tension in the rope

For block A
T - fk - 3gcos(30) = 3a

For block B
T - 2.77g = 2.77a

Then I combine them

fk - 3gsin(30) -3a = 2.77g - 2.77a
a = 98.4

I know the answer is 0.392m/s^2 but I don't know where I'm going wrong. I assumed that block B is being pulled up because block A has a greater weight. Is this a wrong assumption?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Northbysouth! :smile:
Northbysouth said:
fk - 3gsin(30) -3a = 2.77g - 2.77a
a = 98.4

but you still need to find fk :confused:
I assumed that block B is being pulled up because block A has a greater weight. Is this a wrong assumption?

depends on the slope …

obviously, if the slope was 0°, then B would win! :wink:

I found fk = 10.1845

Could you be more specific about the slope? How do I determine whether the friction is acting in the same direction as the tension or in the opposite direction?

to find the direction of friction, imagine that there's no friction, and see which way the blocks go :smile:

(and I'm off to bed :zzz:)

I ran the calculations again with friction acting opposite to the tension.

T - 10.1845 - 3gsin(30) =3a for block A

T =2.77a + 27.146 for block B

I substituted T into block A's equation:

2.77a+27.146 -10.1845 - 3gsin(30) = 3a
a = 0.520145

This still seems a ways off from 0.392. Am I missing something?

(just got up :zzz:)
Northbysouth said:
T - 10.1845 - 3gsin(30) =3a for block A

T =2.77a + 27.146 for block B

I substituted T into block A's equation:

2.77a+27.146 -10.1845 - 3gsin(30) = 3a
a = 0.520145

i] if you subtract equation B from A (so that the RHS is 3a), those first two terms on the LHS should be minus

ii] but your B equation is wrong if you're measuring a downwards (ie, if B is going down) …

then a = mg - T, not T - mg :wink:

Related to Acceleration of blocks on a slope

1. How does the angle of the slope affect the acceleration of a block?

The angle of the slope does not directly affect the acceleration of a block. The acceleration of a block on a slope is determined by the force acting on the block, which is a combination of its weight and the normal force of the slope. However, a steeper slope will result in a greater component of the weight acting parallel to the slope, leading to a greater acceleration.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and its acceleration on a slope?

The mass of the block does not have a direct effect on its acceleration on a slope. However, a heavier block will have a greater weight, resulting in a greater force and potentially a greater acceleration. The mass will also affect the block's inertia, making it more difficult to accelerate or decelerate.

3. How does friction impact the acceleration of a block on a slope?

Friction between the block and the slope will act to oppose the motion of the block, resulting in a decrease in acceleration. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the block and the slope, as well as the normal force of the slope.

4. Does the type of surface on the slope affect the acceleration of the block?

Yes, the type of surface on the slope can have an impact on the acceleration of the block. A rougher surface will result in greater friction and therefore a decrease in acceleration. A smoother surface will have less friction and potentially a greater acceleration. Additionally, the type of surface may also affect the coefficient of friction.

5. How is the acceleration of a block on a slope calculated?

The acceleration of a block on a slope can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). The net force on the block can be determined by adding the forces acting on it, such as its weight and the normal force of the slope. Once the net force is known, the acceleration can be calculated by dividing it by the mass of the block.