What is the Acceleration Experienced in Jules Verne's Moon Launch Scenario?

• Thread starter stumphead101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the problem involves calculating the acceleration experienced by space travelers during their launch from a 220-m-long cannon with a final speed of 10.97 km/s proposed by Jules Verne in 1865. The question also mentions that humans can only withstand a maximum acceleration of 15g for a short time. The poster does not have any formulas or resources to solve the problem and is seeking help on the forum.
stumphead101

Homework Statement

In 1865, Jules Verne proposed sending men to the Moon by firing a space capsule from a 220-m-long cannon with final speed of 10.97 km/s. What would have been the unrealistically large acceleration experienced by the space travelers during their launch? (A human can stand an acceleration of 15g for a short time.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum, but you have to at least try to solve the problem before you can get help. Any formulas you know that you think might apply?

I don't know any formulas that's why I am on the forum, so i can get help and learn the formulas

stumphead101 said:
I don't know any formulas that's why I am on the forum, so i can get help and learn the formulas

Are you studying from a book? Aren't there any formulas in the book related to uniformly accelerated motion? Things like s=(1/2)at^2? Or v0^2-v1^2=2*a*s? Anything along those lines?

There is no textbook. I HAVE NO FORMULAS.

stumphead101 said:
There is no textbook. I HAVE NO FORMULAS.

Is this for a course you are taking? Do you have ANY resources? How are you expected to solve this problem if you don't? Physics Forum Homework Help is not supposed to be a substitute for taking a course of study or reading a book.

stumphead101 said:

Homework Statement

In 1865, Jules Verne proposed sending men to the Moon by firing a space capsule from a 220-m-long cannon with final speed of 10.97 km/s. What would have been the unrealistically large acceleration experienced by the space travelers during their launch? (A human can stand an acceleration of 15g for a short time.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If you dropped a cannon ball 220m off a cliff, what speed would it get up to, just before hitting the ground, given the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

Dick's right. If this isn't homework, then why have you put it in the homework section?
Also, we're not allowed to help until you have given an attempt.
Sorry to be so harsh, but they have rules here, and I don't want to get banned

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are some common units of acceleration?

The most commonly used units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) and gravity (g). However, other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) can also be used.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in several ways. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its velocity, it will slow down. And if an object is accelerating at a right angle to its velocity, it will change direction.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some examples of acceleration in daily life include a car accelerating from a stop, a ball falling due to gravity, and a runner sprinting. Other examples are a roller coaster going down a steep drop and a rocket launching into space.