Acceleration when time is not given

In summary, a cyclist with a total mass of 73kg traveling at a velocity of 21km/hr stops over a distance of 15m. To find the acceleration, the equation V_f^2=V_i^2+2ax can be used, which yields an answer of -1.1. However, it is important to convert all units to SI units (m/s for velocity and m for distance) to get the correct answer.
PhysicsAdvice
1. A cyclist traveling 21km/hr stops over a distance of 15m. His total mass is 73kg. What is his acceleration?

2. T=D/V, A=V/t

3. Since time is displacement over velocity, I can use the displacement and velocity to find time and then solve acceleration by a=v/t. Am I on the right track or should the mass have come into play there?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]V_f^2=V_i^2+2ax[/tex] would work?

PhysicsAdvice said:
3. Since time is displacement over velocity, I can use the displacement and velocity to find time and then solve acceleration by a=v/t. Am I on the right track or should the mass have come into play there?

No-

x = vt

...is only valid when v is constant, which it is not.

I tried [tex] V_f^2=V_i^2+2ax [/tex] which comes to
0=441+2a (225),
-441/225=2a,
-1.96=2a,
-0.98=a

but the answer is -1.1, error?

PhysicsAdvice said:
I tried [tex] V_f^2=V_i^2+2ax [/tex] which comes to
0=441+2a (225),
-441/225=2a,
-1.96=2a,
-0.98=a

but the answer is -1.1, error?

I'm not sure what units you're using? Convert everything to SI units (velocity in m/s, distance in m) and it turns out fine.

vi=21km/hr vf=0km/hr distance=15m, so do i need to convert the 21km/hr to m/s?

nevermind I tried it again and found the right answer, thanks!

1. What is acceleration when time is not given?

Acceleration when time is not given refers to the rate of change of velocity without the consideration of time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing at a specific moment in time.

2. How is acceleration calculated when time is not given?

Acceleration can be calculated when time is not given using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity. In this case, the value of t is not needed as it is not a factor in the calculation.

3. Can acceleration exist without time?

No, acceleration cannot exist without time. Time is a crucial factor in determining acceleration as it is the measure of how long a change in velocity takes to occur. Without time, it is impossible to determine an object's acceleration accurately.

4. How does acceleration without time affect an object's motion?

Acceleration without time will not affect an object's motion. Since time is not a factor in the calculation of acceleration, the object's motion will remain the same regardless of whether time is given or not.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration without time?

Examples of acceleration without time include a car accelerating from a stop, a basketball being thrown into the air, or a rocket launching into space. In all of these cases, the acceleration of the objects can be calculated without the consideration of time.