Are Civilian Casualties Ever Justifiable in Conflict Scenarios?

• News
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation boils down to the question of whether civilian casualties are acceptable in various scenarios during war. The participants discuss different situations involving civilians and their involvement in the war, and whether they can be considered combatants or non-combatants. They also debate the reasons behind conflicts and whether war can ever be justified. Some argue that civilians should stay out of the way and avoid becoming casualties, while others argue for the protection of civilians and the need to address the root causes of war. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity and moral dilemmas surrounding civilian casualties in war.
Outcast said:
Yes , I have and Muhammad may have made that claim, but anyone one that is familiar with the Bible and the Quarn can easily see that they can't possible be the same. For example compare the story of the creation in the Bible with the story of creation in the Quarn. Why would Yahweh give Muhammad several different conflicting version of the creation? Also why would Yahweh change His name to Allah?

This isn't about you or your views. Like i said before, the more you study Islam the less you understand the giant majority of muslims.

Muslims believe they worship the same god as Jews and Christians. The Quran says that Christians and Jews have nothing to fear as long as they believe in Allah. Allah is arabic for one god, and there could be many reasons he wanted to be called like that. Especially since many ppl see Jesus as a god and Islam supposedly corrects this "mistake".
Also you forget that Muslims believe the bible has been falsified or corrupted over the years and the Quran corrects it and supercedes all previous scriptures. Yahweh didnt give Muhammed conflicting versions of creation, that was just a piece corruption by the Jews;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Outcast said:
So you are saying that Christ is the son of Allah? And the Jews and Christians actually worship Allah without knowing it?
Yeah, ain't that a kick in the head. Your knowledge of this religion seems to be culled from Islam hate sites. It's off-topic, biased, and does not reflect the views of the majority of Muslims. They say it's a religion of peace and you claim, through your conservative-Christian-point-of-view to say that it is one of hate.

I don't claim to know their religion. My claim is that a cursury study of any religion will not give much insight into the heart of its true practitioners. In fact, even people studying the books of their own religion often miss the point because of a lack of indepth knowledge of the author, the time it was written, the events surrounding it creation, how the work was interpreted, and how the modern audience finds inspiration in the passage.

What you see as a passage of hate can be interpreted totally different by someone else. Ask ten different people to read a passage from the Bible and you will get ten different interpretations.

Get back on topic, what has this to do with the acceptable number of casualties?

This duscussion is probably too far religious, but the way I see the "who'se god?" issue is pretty simple:

-The Jews worship one God.
-The Christians worship one God and are a branch off of Judaism.
-The Muslims worship one God and are a branch off of Judaism.

Therefore, they all worship the same god, just in different ways. Isn't that logical?

You could even take it a step further to say that if there is one god, then anyone who worships one god worships the same god. Its kinda axiomatic.

In any case, the 3 major religions I noted above are so similar in their roots, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to coexist.

Last edited:
Exactly!
outcast said:
And to be Canadian is to be Martin like
my point being that I'm NOT like martin, americans ARN'T all like bush and muslims ARN'T all like muhammed, christians ARN'T like christ and jews ARN'T like any of their major prohpets.