1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceptible answer?

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    starting with question of find the general sollution of the differential equation

X2y'=y2+3xy+X2 would an acceptable answer be y=-x(ln|x|+c+1) i would show all my working but my camera isnt working so i'll save you must the trouble and just skip to a part that i know is correct where dx/x=(v+1)-2dv

where v=y/x. thanks in advance i think its right just want a second oppinion before plowing it into an exam
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't understand your notation. Is 'X' different from 'x'?

4. Aug 19, 2008 #3
    no just a bit daft with the caps lock button

5. Aug 19, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if y= y=-x(ln|x|+c+1), then y'= -(ln|x|+ c+1)- 1. Putting those into the differential equation, x2y'=y2+3xy+x2 would give you x2(-ln|x|+ c+ 1)- 1)= (ln|x|+ c+ 1)2+ 3x(-ln|x|+ c+ 1)+ x2. Since the right side is clearly going to involve "(ln|x|)2", I don't see how those are going to be equal.

I suspect you have integrated incorrectly. Yes, this is a homogenous equation and the substitution v= y/x gives
    [tex]\frac{dv}{(v+1)^2}= \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
    Integrating both sides of that gives
    [tex]-\frac{1}{v+1}= ln|x|+ C[/tex]
    so
    [tex]v+1= -\frac{1}{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{y}{x}= -1-\frac{1}{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]
    [tex]y= -x-\frac{x}{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]

6. Aug 19, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

I worked it out and did not get the same answer as you did. ln(x)+c is supposed to be the denominator of some fraction in y.

7. Aug 19, 2008 #6
    got it now, was just checking more to see if it would be acceptible to leave logs and things in the answer but made an error in the question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?