1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accretion Time of Earth

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    My Astronomy homework has a problem asking to find the accretion time of Earth.

The forumula's the professor gave (since the book doens't have ANY) are:

[tex]\frac{dm}{dt}=\pi s^2\frac{\sigma \omega}{2}[/tex]

And

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{\sigma \omega}{8 \rho} (1+ \frac{V_{esc}^2}{V_{relative}^2})[/tex]

Where sigma = surface density of the accretion area (I'm guessing here, by the way), omega is the angular acceleration (which means radians/second around the sun, right?) and s is the radius of Earth.

I have no idea what rho is, probably the density of Earth.

Relative velocity = 1/3rd escape velocity, so those cancel. I know the accretion area is from halfway to Mars to half way to Venus from Earth and the total mass of that volume is 2 Earth masses.

My problem is: how do I calculate that? Since s is constantly changing, does that end up being a differential equation? Looks pretty ugly. Or do I assume that it is constant (say, the size of Earth), since it is so much smaller than the accretion area?

I have no idea what to do from here. If I can figure out s, I can then find dm/dt and then just divide Earth's current mass by that, right? So that shouldn't be a problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?