Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accurately and Quickly Interpreting NMR/IR Spectra

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    In examining the IR spectrum, I noted that there were peaks for CH2-x where x is bromine, methylene (2 peaks) and a peak corresponding to a methyl group; I concluded that I've synthesized n-bromobutane. Is the method I used to interpret my spectra sound? *CDCl3 was the IR solvent

In addition, in looking at the HNMR spectra, I concluded that the protons shown in the NMR spectra corresponded to the groups determined in the IR spectra. My only concern is that the approximate ppm(s) seem to be shifted yet I know that this may not necessarily mean that my interpretation is wrong. Can someone confirm that my logic is sound and supported?

I've attached the NMR and the IR.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/Alex_Jsoh/IRSpectrum-page-001_zps084bb818.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/Alex_Jsoh/NMRSpectrum-page-001_zpsdd2a7edc.jpg

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is n-bromobutane?

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    I'm sorry, 1-bromobutane (or n-butyl bromide).

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4

Lok

Is the rightmost small peak CDCL3? Maybe you should set it to 0?
    If so then it works well with the 1-bromobutane.

6. Sep 30, 2014 #5
    Can't really see your IR spectrum very clearly, but it does look similar to the reference IR spectrum for 1-bromobutane. n-bromobutane.gif

7. Oct 4, 2014 #6
    Yeah, someone else did the IR/NMR for me.

The smallest peak is CDCl3 and it seems that setting it to 0 is prudent.

I did some thorough review of NMR/IR and I'm pretty confident now!

Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook