Acetate anion destabilization by methyl group

• Thread starter hariharan venkatasu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary: I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the answer. Can you please elaborate on what you don't understand?In summary, when acetate ion is destabilized, it becomes prone to losing the CO2 group and becomes less stable. This is due to the energy difference between -COOH and -COO-+H+.
hariharan venkatasu
The alkyl group of acetate ion in acetic acid pushes more negative charge inductively toward already negative COO- end destabilize it.In this context I wish to know what actually is destabilization?What happen when acetate ion is destabilized?How the anion is stabilized ultimately? Could you please explain?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
So you are comparing methyl group of acetic acid with Hydrogen of Formic Acid or CO2- of Oxylate? Generally an electron withdawing group like CCl3 (in trichloroacetic acid) pulls negative charge from carboxylic CO2 to the side chain, which allows more Hydrogen ion to detach. Since methyl releases electrons it would make the carboxylic bond with hydrogen stronger. That is methyl makes acetic acid weaker. However an Oxygen, electron withdrawing, makes Carbonic Acid a weak acid, highlighting that electron withdrawing/donating isn't the only criteria. Note that dissociation, acidity, of acetic acid, is in solution with water (The pH definition). Water creates complexes with anions and cation. Rather destabilizing, electron donation allow for more covalent character of acetate compounds eg Copper Acetate.

Thank you very much for your reply.But I did not receive reply to my question what actually is destabilization and what happens when acetate ion is destabilized?How stabilization take place ultimately?I request answer for this.

Destabilization means a carboxylic acid is prone to losing the CO2 group. Acetic acid is stabilized by methyl group. Trichloroacetic acid easily loses CO2 to become CHCl3. The charge on the carboxylic acid portion of acetic acid resonates between the two oxygens. Because methyl lowers the acidity, hydrogen ions are still attached to one of the oxygens, making them different, sorta, because other acetic acid molecules share hydrogen ions. However this does not destabilize as much as change the resonant structures available. In other words the term "destabilize" does not have anything to do with acetate ions.

Thank you very much for the answer which does not fully answer my question

Last edited:
I am very eager to receive your replies to my earlier questions.Could you please help me?

It is all about energy differences between -COOH and -COO-+H+. -COO- is stabilized by the resonance - if it has lower electron density it is relatively more stable (has a lower combined energy) and the dissociated form is preferred, the higher the electron density the less the energy "gain" and non dissociated form becomes dominant.

Sadly, I feel like this explanation doesn't answer your question "what is destabilization" - as the only exact answer I can think of is "destabilization is making something less stable", which is rather tautological.

Thanks a lot for the answer.But my question is what actually happens to the anion?Is there any structural change to the anion?
Sorry for repeating the same problem.

No structural change (although with the changing electron density I wouldn't be surprised by some minor changes to the C-O bond lengths and/or the O-C-O angle).

Thank you for your answer which clears my doubt to some extent.However I do not understand the first sentence,"It is all about energy differences...and non dissociated form become dominant".Please clarify'

Last edited:
I am very eager to see your reply to my last post.I shall be immensely thankful to you if you could post your answer.

Sorry, every answer we give you leads only to further questions, as if you had no idea what are the basic principles at work. I strongly suggest you read some general chemistry books where these things are explained. I have no problems helping with details, but full lecture on things that are covered in every chemistry course is out of the question.

Likes epenguin
Thanks a lot for the answer and advice.

1. What is acetate anion destabilization by methyl group?

Acetate anion destabilization by methyl group refers to the process in which the presence of a methyl group (CH3) attached to the acetate anion (CH3COO-) causes the anion to become less stable and more reactive.

2. Why does the addition of a methyl group destabilize the acetate anion?

The addition of a methyl group to the acetate anion causes destabilization because the methyl group is electron-donating and increases the electron density around the anion. This makes the anion more reactive and prone to undergoing chemical reactions.

3. What are the potential consequences of acetate anion destabilization by methyl group?

The destabilization of the acetate anion by a methyl group can lead to increased reactivity, which may result in the formation of new chemical compounds or the breakdown of existing compounds. This can have implications in various chemical processes and reactions.

4. How is acetate anion destabilization by methyl group relevant in biological systems?

In biological systems, acetate anion destabilization by methyl group is relevant in processes such as metabolism and enzyme-catalyzed reactions. The destabilization of the anion can affect the rate and outcome of these reactions, which can have significant impacts on the functioning of living organisms.

5. Can acetate anion destabilization by methyl group be reversed?

Yes, acetate anion destabilization by methyl group can be reversed through various chemical reactions. For example, the addition of an electron-withdrawing group to the acetate anion can counteract the destabilizing effects of the methyl group. Additionally, certain enzymes in biological systems can also reverse the destabilization of the anion.