1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ACT or SAT

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    Which one is more difficult? ACT or SAT?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

Mk

I like the ACT better. I never could have done well on the SAT. On the ACT I got a 15 in writing (perfect, how bout them apples), and a 30 composite.

But I think the ACT is harder.

Makes sense, see?

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    No... If it's harder, why do you like it more?

5. Mar 25, 2008 #4
    Define 'difficult'.

6. Mar 25, 2008 #5
    Requires more thinking, never an obvious answer choice, higher level of vocabulary/comprehension, etc.

7. Mar 25, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on which coast you're from. :biggrin: :wink:

8. Mar 25, 2008 #7
    Okay, thank you for the clarification. :smile:

9. Mar 25, 2008 #8
    I was rubbish at COG (Cognative Ability Tests) tests as a kid. So It kind of ruined me on any tests. Exams yes, but tests *shivers*.

Hehe I was useless at that as a kid.

And as for maths, gifted in some areas beyond the norm, but in tests useless. I don't see them as much use for idiots like me. :smile:

10. Mar 25, 2008 #9

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One big difference with the ACT and the SAT is that the ACT has a Science section. So, if you happen to be good at Science, the ACT may be good for you. Also, I believe the ACT has less Math, so if you happen to be less adept at Math, then the ACT may be a consideration.

11. Mar 25, 2008 #10
    I find the ACT to be much easier than the SATs as the ACTs have no vocabulary section.

12. Mar 25, 2008 #11
    I'll inject my own question now. Which should I take and when? (I'm frosh now) I am thinking about starting taking them yearly next year as a sophomore, but input would be nice, also, its pretty expensive to do that each year.

13. Mar 26, 2008 #12
    Are you a sophomore? I'd look into taking the SAT. Learning that test means you also learn the PSAT, which can mean big $$$'s for college, especially if you live in a state where the qualifying scores are low (like I was!). Poor mass/california kids.

14. Mar 26, 2008 #13
    I am a freshman this year. I live in New Mexico, which ranks pretty low, but I plan on going to school outta state, possibly Oregon State.

15. Mar 26, 2008 #14
    Definitely get to be good buddies with the SAT then, binzing. (ambiguity in age was because I was actually addressing the OP). It doesn't matter which state you qualify in because universities ultimately offer the big part of the scholarship.

16. Mar 26, 2008 #15
    Sweet, so my plan was right on track. Now how to get the money to take both of those tests each year...

17. Mar 26, 2008 #16

Mk

I'm sure you can get into the college you want to without having to pay extra money and learning time so you can get a good score on an extra standardized test.

18. Mar 26, 2008 #17
    No no, I mean where to get the money to take the tests. They are like $75 to take.

19. Mar 27, 2008 #18
    I've actually literally been unable to do IQ tests because I didn't understand what they were asking you to do. Another reason I find the tests to be pointless. I don't think they allow you to have extra time in those sorts of tests. :smile:

20. Mar 27, 2008 #19
    If you are only taking one of the two take the SAT. It is just more recognized everywhere. I took the ACT and got good numbers, but no one knows what a 34 means. If probably doesn't matter much to a college which one you took, but when you are talking with other people it seems like everyone else took the SAT and it is much easier to prove your superiority if you are all on the same scale.

21. Mar 27, 2008 #20
    To be frank I'm glad we don't have testing, A' level results and an interview are much better than some arbitrary test. Let's face it who the hell cares if you can do well on a one off test, I'd rather know you spent two years working your arse off to get 4 A's or some IB or whatever is the equivalent than 1000 on a SAT. I must admit though I think this wont be too popular amongst people who aced the SAT/ACT. :biggrin:

What if you can't do SAT's but are gifted at art?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?