Action of a cyclic group on modules

Summary: In summary, we consider the action of a cyclic group G on a vector space M over \mathbb{Q} with basis S, and extend this action to the group ring \mathbb{Q}G. We then examine the submodule M' generated by v_i = m_i - m_{i-1} for i=1,2,...,p-1. We prove that M' cannot be written as a direct sum of two nontrivial \mathbb{Q}G-modules by showing that M' itself is not a \mathbb{Q}G-module, leading to a contradiction.
Storm22

Homework Statement

Let [tex]G = <x>[/tex] be a cyclic group of prime order [tex]p[/tex] and let [tex]M[/tex] be a vector space over [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] with basis [tex]S = \{m_0,m_1,\dots,m_{p-1}\}[/tex]. [tex]G[/tex] acts on the [tex]S[/tex] in a natural way by cyclic permutations and this action is linearly extended to an action of [tex]G[/tex] on [tex]M[/tex]. Now, the resulting action is extended (linearly) to an action of [tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex] (the group ring) on [tex]M[/tex]. Denote [tex]v_i = m_i - m_{i-1}[/tex] for [tex]i=1,2,\dots,p-1[/tex] and denote [tex]M' = \mathbb{Q}v_1 + \dots + \mathbb{Q}v_{p-1}[/tex] (module sum). Prove that [tex]M'[/tex] cannot be written as the direct sum of two nontrivial [tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex]-modules.

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex] is defined to be the set of formal sums of elements of [tex]G[/tex], with coefficients from [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I noticed that no (nontrivial) element of [tex]M[/tex] is invariant under the action of [tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex]. Thought of showing that an invariant element must always exist in case the result is false, but haven't managed to do that. I tried showing weaker/stronger statements (that M' is cyclic or simple), but had no luck with that either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried using the fact that \mathbb{Q}G is a free \mathbb{Q}-module, but couldn't find a way to apply it. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you for your interesting question. First, let's recall the definition of a direct sum of modules. Given two modules A and B over a ring R, their direct sum is a new module A⊕B with elements (a,b) where a∈A and b∈B, and operations defined as (a,b)+(a',b')=(a+a',b+b') and r(a,b)=(ra,rb).

Now, let's consider the module M' defined in the problem. We know that M' is a submodule of M, since it is generated by elements of M. Therefore, if M' can be written as the direct sum of two nontrivial \mathbb{Q}G-modules, then M' itself must be a nontrivial \mathbb{Q}G-module.

However, we can show that M' is not a \mathbb{Q}G-module by contradiction. Assume that M' is a \mathbb{Q}G-module, then for any element g∈G and any vector v∈M', we have gv∈M'. Now, since v∈M' is a linear combination of elements of the form v_i, we have gv=gv_1+...+gv_{p-1}. However, since G is a cyclic group, we know that g^p=1. Therefore, we have g^pv_i=v_i for all i=1,...,p-1. This means that gv_i=v_i for all i=1,...,p-1, and thus gv=0. However, this contradicts the fact that M' is generated by v_1,...,v_{p-1}, which are linearly independent elements. Therefore, M' cannot be a \mathbb{Q}G-module, and thus cannot be written as a direct sum of two nontrivial \mathbb{Q}G-modules.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need more clarification.

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element in the set. The elements of a cyclic group can be generated by repeatedly applying the binary operation to a single element, called the generator.

2. What is the action of a cyclic group on modules?

The action of a cyclic group on modules is a way of describing how the elements of the cyclic group interact with the elements of a module, which is a generalization of vector spaces. This action is defined as a homomorphism from the cyclic group to the automorphism group of the module, meaning it preserves the group structure and the module structure.

3. How is the action of a cyclic group on modules related to linear algebra?

The action of a cyclic group on modules is closely related to linear algebra, as modules are a generalization of vector spaces and the action can be seen as a generalization of linear transformations. Just as linear transformations can be represented by matrices, the action of a cyclic group on a module can be represented by a matrix known as the character table.

4. What are some examples of the action of a cyclic group on modules?

Some examples of the action of a cyclic group on modules include the action of the group of rotations on a 3-dimensional vector space, the action of the group of translations on a one-dimensional vector space, and the action of the group of reflections on a 2-dimensional vector space.

5. What are the applications of the action of a cyclic group on modules?

The action of a cyclic group on modules has various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is used to study symmetry in geometric and algebraic structures, to classify finite groups, and to solve problems in coding theory and cryptography. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, where it is used to understand the symmetries of quantum states.