1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Action of a cyclic group on modules

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]G = <x>[/tex] be a cyclic group of prime order [tex]p[/tex] and let [tex]M[/tex] be a vector space over [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] with basis [tex]S = \{m_0,m_1,\dots,m_{p-1}\}[/tex]. [tex]G[/tex] acts on the [tex]S[/tex] in a natural way by cyclic permutations and this action is linearly extended to an action of [tex]G[/tex] on [tex]M[/tex]. Now, the resulting action is extended (linearly) to an action of [tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex] (the group ring) on [tex]M[/tex]. Denote [tex]v_i = m_i - m_{i-1}[/tex] for [tex]i=1,2,\dots,p-1[/tex] and denote [tex]M' = \mathbb{Q}v_1 + \dots + \mathbb{Q}v_{p-1}[/tex] (module sum). Prove that [tex]M'[/tex] cannot be written as the direct sum of two nontrivial [tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex]-modules.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex] is defined to be the set of formal sums of elements of [tex]G[/tex], with coefficients from [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I noticed that no (nontrivial) element of [tex]M[/tex] is invariant under the action of [tex]\mathbb{Q}G[/tex]. Thought of showing that an invariant element must always exist in case the result is false, but haven't managed to do that. I tried showing weaker/stronger statements (that M' is cyclic or simple), but had no luck with that either.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?