Answer: Tire Pressure: 35psi | Actual Pressure: 50.868psi

• Thread starter NDbogan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a student tests the air pressure of her tires and finds that it is 35 psi on a warm day with a barometric pressure of 780mmHg. Using the equation Pgauge= Pabsolute - Pambient, and assuming that absolute pressure is the same as actual pressure, the student calculates the actual pressure inside the tires to be 50.868 psi.
NDbogan

Homework Statement

On a warm day, a student uses a tire gauge to test the air pressure of her tires. While listening to the weather report on the way to the garage, she finds that the barometric pressure is 780mmHg. If the gauge reads a pressure of 35psi, what is the actual pressure inside the tires in psi?

Homework Equations

I don't know which equation I should be using. Is it a trick question because the tyre pressure doesn't change or is it
Pgauage= Pabsolute - Pambient

The Attempt at a Solution

if it is then I'm assuming that absolute pressure is the same as actual pressure.
Then
Pgauage= 35psi
Pambient= 780mmHg= 15.0868psi
and I have to find Pa
which would be
Pabsolute=35 + 15.0868
= 50.868 psi

Like I said I have no idea...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NDbogan said:
Pgauage= 35psi
Pambient= 780mmHg= 15.0868psi
and I have to find Pa
which would be
Pabsolute=35 + 15.0868
= 50.868 psi

It looks all right, but the end result. Check the addition! :smile:

ehild

FAQ: Answer: Tire Pressure: 35psi | Actual Pressure: 50.868psi

1. What is the difference between tire pressure and actual pressure?

The tire pressure is the recommended pressure for the tire determined by the manufacturer, while the actual pressure is the current pressure inside the tire measured with a tire pressure gauge.

2. Why is the actual pressure higher than the recommended tire pressure?

This could be due to several reasons such as changes in temperature and altitude, over-inflation, or a faulty tire pressure gauge. It is important to regularly check and adjust the tire pressure to ensure optimal performance and safety.

3. Is 35psi the correct tire pressure for all tires?

No, the recommended tire pressure can vary depending on the type and size of the tire, as well as the vehicle. It is important to refer to the owner's manual or the tire placard on the vehicle to determine the correct tire pressure.

4. Can a higher tire pressure improve fuel efficiency?

Yes, maintaining the recommended tire pressure can improve fuel efficiency by reducing rolling resistance. However, over-inflating the tires can also cause uneven wear and decrease handling and braking performance.

5. How often should I check and adjust my tire pressure?

It is recommended to check tire pressure at least once a month and before long trips. Tire pressure should also be adjusted when there are significant changes in temperature or if the vehicle has been stationary for an extended period of time.