Adaptive step size trapezoidal integration

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Since the last line in artrap reports its input, you should know that the last thing that will be reported is "a=2, b=10". You might want to work backwards through the list.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/72086

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72087&d=1407804589

Hello

Here is the code for the adaptive stepsize function
Code:
function I = arttrap(fh,a,b,tol,fa,fb)
if nargin == 4
    fa = fh(a); fb = fh(b);
end
m = (a+b)/2;
fm = fh(m);
h = b-a;
% Compute I based on 1 subdivision
I1 = 0.5*(fa+fb)*h;
% Compute I based on 2 subdivisions
I2 = (fa + 2*fm + fb)*h/4;
% Compare both estimates
if abs(I1-I2)<tol
    I = I2;
else
    ILeft = artrap(fh,a,m,tol/2,fa,fm);
    IRight = artrap(fh,m,b,tol/2,fm,fb);
    I = ILeft + IRight;
end
disp(['a = ' num2str(a) ', b=' num2str(b)]);

I am wondering if I did it correctly, or better yet if just by looking at the graph I would be able to tell the values of ##x## which are evaluated. This can't be plotted to test, so it's clear this was a contrived graph to test the student's understanding of how adaptive stepsize integration works. I am just wondering what would indicate the places that would be checked.

From what I see, 2 and 10 would be looked at. Then also 6 and 8, since there is a sharp turn at those locations, and a step could be placed there. But my calculations are saying that it's also evaluated at 7 and 9.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your two links don't work.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1407817992.040101.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1407818013.184780.jpg

Okay my bad, there they are

Maylis said:
From what I see, 2 and 10 would be looked at. Then also 6 and 8, since there is a sharp turn at those locations, and a step could be placed there. But my calculations are saying that it's also evaluated at 7 and 9.

The computer doesn't magically "know" where the kinks in the graph are and put the steps and the "best" places. It just does what the program tells it to do.

I think you are right about evaluating at 7 and 9. The interval 6 to 10 doesn't converge so it is split into 6 ro 8, and 8 to 10. The computer doesn't "know" what the graph looks like, so it has to evaluate at the mid point of those intervals. Both intervals converge so they are not split any further.

The marks on the graph, and the answer on the second sheet, forgot about checking the interval 2 to 6.

BTW this is a poor algorithm for doing integration (but it's a nice exercise related to trees and recursive functions). See why you get the wrong answer, if you use it to evaluate ##\int_0^{2\pi} \sin^2\!\! x\, dx##.

To be clear, when AlephOne said "The marks on the graph, and the answer on the second sheet, forgot about checking the interval 2 to 6.", he's saying you've missed a value (which you have).

So that means my answers are right? Even the 2nd question?

Maylis said:
So that means my answers are right? Even the 2nd question?
You're list (2,10,6,7,8,9) is missing a number.
You're estimation of what will be printed is also wrong.

Here's what will happen:

artrap(2,10) called.
--fh evaluated at 2, 10, and then 6
--artrap(2,6) called.
----fh evaluated at <you fill this in>
----display 2, 6
--artrap(6,10) called.
----fh evaluated at <you fill this in>
----artrap(6,8) called.

Notice that the first display is "a=2, b=6", not "a=2, b=10" which is what you have.

So in the attachments, both H.1 and H.2 have mistakes.

So it evaluates at 2,10,6,4,8,7,9.

I am confused about where it has its end points. This code gets confusing because when it splits up the step, it doesn't meet tolerance requirements, so it splits itself again, then I don't understand how to get it to go back.

Does it display
1. a=2 b=6
2. a=6 b=8
3. a=8 b=10
?
If so, is that just coincidentally the places on the graph with the sharp turnsartrap(2,10) called.
--artrap(2,6) called.
----fh evaluated at <2,4,6>
----display 2, 6
--artrap(6,10) called.
----fh evaluated at <6,8,10>
----artrap(6,8) called.
---- fh evaluated at <6,7,8>
----artrap(8,10) called
---- fh evaluated at <8,9,10>

Last edited:
Maylis said:
So it evaluates at 2,10,6,4,8,7,9.
Yes.
Maylis said:
I am confused about where it has its end points. This code gets confusing because when it splits up the step, it doesn't meet tolerance requirements, so it splits itself again, then I don't understand how to get it to go back.

Does it display
1. a=2 b=6
2. a=6 b=8
3. a=8 b=10
?
If so, is that just coincidentally the places on the graph with the sharp turns
Those are the first three lines displayed. But there are two more.
The first call to artrap is with a=2, b=10. Since the last line in artrap reports its input, you should know that the last thing that will be reported is "a=2, b=10". You might want to work backwards through the list.
Maylis said:
artrap(2,10) called.
--artrap(2,6) called.
----fh evaluated at <2,4,6>
----display 2, 6
--artrap(6,10) called.
----fh evaluated at <6,8,10>
----artrap(6,8) called.
---- fh evaluated at <6,7,8>
----artrap(8,10) called
---- fh evaluated at <8,9,10>
Not quite.
artrap(2,10) called.
--artrap(2,6) called.
----fh evaluated at 4 (and only 4)
----display 2, 6
--artrap(6,10) called.
----fh evaluated at 8 (and only 8)
----artrap(6,8) called.
------fh evaluated at 7 (and only 7)
------display <you fill this in>
----artrap(8,10) called.
------fh evaluated at 9 (and only 9)
------display <you fill this in>
----display <you fill this in>
--display <you fill this in>

Notice that I am using two dashes for each level in the stack. It's important to keep track of this.

1. What is adaptive step size trapezoidal integration?

Adaptive step size trapezoidal integration is a numerical method used for approximating the definite integral of a function. It involves dividing the interval of integration into smaller sub-intervals and using the trapezoidal rule to approximate the area under the curve. The step size is then adjusted based on the error in the approximation, resulting in a more accurate solution.

2. How does adaptive step size trapezoidal integration work?

The process begins by dividing the interval of integration into smaller sub-intervals. The step size is then determined based on the desired level of accuracy. The trapezoidal rule is applied to each sub-interval to approximate the area under the curve. The error in the approximation is then calculated and compared to the desired accuracy. If the error is too large, the step size is decreased and the process is repeated. This continues until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using adaptive step size trapezoidal integration?

One of the main advantages of this method is its ability to adjust the step size based on the error in the approximation. This allows for a more accurate solution compared to using a fixed step size. Additionally, this method is relatively simple and easy to implement.

4. What types of functions can adaptive step size trapezoidal integration be used for?

This numerical method can be used for any continuous function. However, it is most commonly used for functions that cannot be integrated analytically or for functions with complex integrands.

5. Are there any limitations to using adaptive step size trapezoidal integration?

While this method can provide accurate approximations for a wide range of functions, it may not be the most efficient method for highly oscillatory functions or functions with sharp peaks. It also requires some trial and error to determine the appropriate step size for a given level of accuracy, which may be time-consuming for more complex integrals.