Hydrostatics on Plane surface

In summary: I am not sure how to find the length of the lever arm for the hydrostatic force acting on the gate. Would I just use the average of the top and bottom of the gate (1.5m) as the lever arm?In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a 3m long gate with a weight of 4kN per unit width that is hinged at O and sits at an angle θ as a function of water height h above the hinge. The first part of the problem asks for a general relation between h and θ, which is h ∼ C(cosθ sin2 θ) ^1/3, where C needs to be determined. The second part of the problem asks for
RAP1234

Homework Statement

A 3 m long gate of weight 4 kN per unit width is hinged at O and sits at an angle θ as a function of water height h above the hinge. (A) Using a y-axis measured up from the hinge, derive a general relation between h and θ, with all other variables evaluated in the relation. (ANS: h ∼ C(cosθ sin2 θ) ^1/3 , where you must find C.) (B) Using your result, what h will cause the gate to be inclined at θ = 45◦ ? (ANS: h(45◦ ) ∼ 1.2m)https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/asd-png.92500/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is not of the form h ∼ C(cosθ sin2 θ) ^1/3I am obligated to use the coordinate system with y increasing from the hinge, up along the gate.
I chose z positive direction going straight vertically upwards from the hinge

dF= PdA eq(1)

dM=ydF eq(2)

dP/dz = rho*g eq(3)Integrating eq(3)

P = rho*g*z+C

but at z = h , P = 0 gage
--> C =rho*g*h

--> P = rho*g*z- rho*g*h\

replacing this into eq(1)

dF = (rho*g*z- rho*g*h) *w*dy

needing z as a function of y, I find that z = ysin(theta)

--> dF = (rho*g*ysin(theta)- rho*g*h) *w*dy

replacing this into eq(2) I find that

dM = (rho*g*y^2*sin(theta)- rho*g*h*y) *w*dy

Integrating the right side with bounds from y=0 to y= 3 I find that

M = w*(9*rho*g*sin(theta)-4.5*rho*g*h) eq(4)

which should be the moment due to the fluid

I thought that since the moment due to the fluid should equal the moment due to the weight of the gate acting n the centroid I would have something like

Mfluid =M weight of gate

Since I am given M due to weight of gate is 4kN per unit width, dividing eq(4) by w

(9*rho*g*sin(theta)-4.5*rho*g*h) = 4,000*cos(theta)*(L/2)

but given in the problem statement is L = 1m

so I replaced in the appropriate values for the density of water rho = 10^3, g = 9.8, L = 1, and solved for h in terms of theta.

But my answer is not of the proper form that problem suggested h ∼ C(cosθ sin2 θ) ^1/3

Please help. I am truly not knowing what I am doing wrong here and don't have anyone I can ask to verify my method.
apologize. I didn't realize the image would be so small when uploaded.
I am obligated to use the coordinate system with y increasing from the hinge, up along the gate.
I chose z positive direction going straight vertically upwards from the hinge

dF= PdA eq(1)

dM=ydF eq(2)

dP/dz = rho*g eq(3)Integrating eq(3)

P = rho*g*z+C

but at z = h , P = 0 gage
--> C =rho*g*h

--> P = rho*g*z- rho*g*h\

replacing this into eq(1)

dF = (rho*g*z- rho*g*h) *w*dy

needing z as a function of y, I find that z = ysin(theta)

--> dF = (rho*g*ysin(theta)- rho*g*h) *w*dy

replacing this into eq(2) I find that

dM = (rho*g*y^2*sin(theta)- rho*g*h*y) *w*dy

M = w*(9*rho*g*sin(theta)-4.5*rho*g*h) eq(4)

which should be the moment due to the fluid

I thought that since the moment due to the fluid should equal the moment due to the weight of the gate acting n the centroid I would have something like

Mfluid =M weight of gate

Since I am given M due to weight of gate is 4kN per unit width, dividing eq(4) by w

(9*rho*g*sin(theta)-4.5*rho*g*h) = 4,000*cos(theta)*(L/2)

but given in the problem statement is L = 1m

so I replaced in the appropriate values for the density of water rho = 10^3, g = 9.8, L = 1, and solved for h in terms of theta.

But my answer is not of the proper form that problem suggested h ∼ C(cosθ sin2 θ) ^1/3

Please help. I am truly not knowing what I am doing wrong here and don't have anyone I can ask to verify my method.
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RAP1234 said:
dP/dz = rho*g
Yes, if you will be giving g a negative value.
RAP1234 said:
That extends beyond the region in contact with the water.
RAP1234 said:
9*rho*g*sin(theta)
Looks like you forgot a step in integrating y2.

haruspex said:
Yes, if you will be giving g a negative value.
That extends beyond the region in contact with the water.

Looks like you forgot a step in integrating y2.
I integrated and evaluated the bounds of the definite integral from y = 0 to y = 3

BUT as you said before the water does not go to the height of the gate.I will fix this and get back to you.

I am getting an answer of the proper form, but the constant C in front of it I am not sure of. Will the moment due to the weight of the gate have a change in the length of the lever arm since it is partially submerged?

RAP1234 said:
I am getting an answer of the proper form, but the constant C in front of it I am not sure of. Will the moment due to the weight of the gate have a change in the length of the lever arm since it is partially submerged?
Yes. The net moment about the hinge should be zero for the gate to remain in equilibrium.

so we would still take 3/2 to be the length of the lever arm, as gravity still acts at the centroid

RAP1234 said:
so we would still take 3/2 to be the length of the lever arm, as gravity still acts at the centroid
The weight of the gate is fixed, and so is its lever arm about the hinge. The same cannot be said of the hydrostatic force acting on the gate, nor its lever arm reference to the hinge. Those are functions of the water depth h.

SteamKing said:
The weight of the gate is fixed, and so is its lever arm about the hinge. The same cannot be said of the hydrostatic force acting on the gate, nor its moment arm.

Thank you. I did fix the integration with the moment portion for the hydrostatic force from 0 t y = h/sin(theta)

RAP1234 said:
It depends what you mean. The length 3/2m is not orthogonal to gravity.
Please post your new working.

I posted pictures of my new working below. I do appreciate the help

Attachments

• 20151129_142928.jpg
    20151129_142928.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 20151129_142937.jpg
    20151129_142937.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 363
RAP1234 said:
I posted pictures of my new working below. I do appreciate the help
That all looks pretty good, except that you went wrong early on.
I gather you are taking g as having a positive value, so switched the sign on dP/dz to minus. But that should change the sign on the constant of integration too. Look at your expression for P(z) and consider its value when z=h.

haruspex said:
That all looks pretty good, except that you went wrong early on.
I gather you are taking g as having a positive value, so switched the sign on dP/dz to minus. But that should change the sign on the constant of integration too. Look at your expression for P(z) and consider its value when z=h.
Thanks for the response. I will have to fix that as P should be zero when z = h

Update: Wonderful . After fixing it properly, everything seems to be within range. Thanks again for your help :)

Last edited:

1. What is hydrostatics on plane surface?

Hydrostatics on plane surface is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the study of fluids at rest or in a state of constant motion on a flat surface.

2. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatics on plane surface?

Some examples of real-life applications of hydrostatics on plane surface include the design and construction of dams, ships, and submarines, as well as the study of groundwater flow and the behavior of liquids in containers.

3. How does pressure affect hydrostatics on plane surface?

In hydrostatics on plane surface, the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest is equal in all directions. This means that the pressure at any point on the surface of the fluid is the same, regardless of direction.

4. What is the significance of the center of pressure in hydrostatics on plane surface?

The center of pressure is the point on a surface at which the total force of the fluid acts. It is an important concept in hydrostatics on plane surface as it determines the stability and equilibrium of floating objects.

5. How does the density of a fluid affect hydrostatics on plane surface?

The density of a fluid is a key factor in determining the pressure and forces acting on objects in hydrostatics on plane surface. A more dense fluid will exert a greater pressure on a surface, while a less dense fluid will exert less pressure.