Subspace Addition: Understanding the Union of A and B

In summary, the notation of "subspace A + subspace B" does not necessarily mean the union of A and B, as the union may not always be a subspace. However, the set of all sums from each subspace, A + B, is a subspace. Additionally, the intersection of A+B and C would result in a subspace of R^3.
moonbeam
I just wanted to know if subspace A + subspace B is the same as the "union of A and B".

Physics news on Phys.org
moonbeam said:
I just wanted to know if subspace A + subspace B is the same as the "union of A and B".

I never seen this notation. It does not really make sense because the union of two suspaces is never a subspace unless one is contained in the other. Perhaps, it means the set of all sums, each one from each subspace.

Ok, subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] have the following properties: contain the zero vector, are closed under addition, and are closed under multiplication. Am I right?
So, say [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B[/tex], and [tex]C[/tex] are subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Then, what would [tex](A+B) \cap C[/tex] mean?

moonbeam said:
Ok, subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] have the following properties: contain the zero vector, are closed under addition, and are closed under multiplication. Am I right?
So, say [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B[/tex], and [tex]C[/tex] are subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Then, what would [tex](A+B) \cap C[/tex] mean?

As per the definition of intersection, [itex](A+B) \cap C[/itex] is the set of all vectors that are both in [itex]A+B[/itex] and in [itex]C[/itex].

moonbeam said:

Not in general.
But A+B always includes AUB.
In fact, span(AUB) = A+B.

moonbeam said:

It would mean that you have in your hands a subspace of R^3.

Last edited:
As pointed out in the posts above, one only has to go through definitions: for two subspaces A, B of V, you have A + B = [A U B] = {a + b : a [itex]\in[/itex] A, b [itex]\in[/itex] B}.

Last edited:

What is addition of subspaces?

Addition of subspaces is a mathematical operation that involves combining two subspaces to form a new subspace. This operation is commonly used in linear algebra and is important in understanding vector spaces.

How is addition of subspaces performed?

Addition of subspaces is performed by adding the vectors in each subspace together. The resulting set of vectors will form a new subspace.

What are the properties of addition of subspaces?

The properties of addition of subspaces include closure, commutativity, and associativity. Closure means that the result of adding two subspaces will always be a subspace. Commutativity means that the order in which the subspaces are added does not affect the result. Associativity means that the grouping of subspaces being added does not affect the result.

How is addition of subspaces related to vector addition?

Addition of subspaces is related to vector addition because subspaces are sets of vectors that follow the same rules of addition as individual vectors. This means that the properties of vector addition, such as commutativity and associativity, also apply to addition of subspaces.

Why is addition of subspaces important in science?

Addition of subspaces is important in science because it allows us to combine different sets of vectors to form a new subspace that can represent a larger, more complex system. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where systems are often described by multiple vectors. Addition of subspaces also helps us understand the relationships between different subspaces within a larger vector space.