Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of Subspaces

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    I just wanted to know if subspace A + subspace B is the same as the "union of A and B".

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2
    I never seen this notation. It does not really make sense because the union of two suspaces is never a subspace unless one is contained in the other. Perhaps, it means the set of all sums, each one from each subspace.

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    Ok, subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] have the following properties: contain the zero vector, are closed under addition, and are closed under multiplication. Am I right?
    So, say [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B[/tex], and [tex]C[/tex] are subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Then, what would [tex](A+B) \cap C[/tex] mean?

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As per the definition of intersection, [itex](A+B) \cap C[/itex] is the set of all vectors that are both in [itex]A+B[/itex] and in [itex]C[/itex].

6. Aug 12, 2007 #5
    Not in general.
    But A+B always includes AUB.
    In fact, span(AUB) = A+B.

It would mean that you have in your hands a subspace of R^3.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  7. Aug 12, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

As pointed out in the posts above, one only has to go through definitions: for two subspaces A, B of V, you have A + B = [A U B] = {a + b : a [itex]\in[/itex] A, b [itex]\in[/itex] B}.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?