AdS3 metrics using SageManifolds

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of SageManifolds for computing the metric in both global and Poincaré coordinates for the ## AdS_3 ## spacetime. The individual codes for each coordinate system are commented and the question is raised on how to associate multiple metrics to a single manifold.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've written the following code using SageManifolds both for practice and for when I need different quantities related to the ## AdS_3 ## spacetime.
Code:
AdS3=Manifold(3,'AdS3')

AdS3_Polar=AdS3.open_subset('AdS3_Polar')
#AdS3_Poincare=AdS3.open_subset('AdS3_Poincare')

Global.<tau,rho,phi>=AdS3_Polar.chart(r'tau:(-oo,+oo) rho:(0,+oo) phi:(0,2*pi)')
#Poincare.<t,y,z>=AdS3_Poincare.chart(r't:(-oo,+oo) y:(-oo,+oo) z:(0,+oo)')

R22=Manifold(4,'R22')
X22.<X,Y,Z,W>=R22.chart()
h=R22.metric('h',signature=0)
h[0,0],h[1,1],h[2,2],h[3,3]=-1,-1,1,1

var('R',domain='real')
assume(R>0)
Phi=AdS3.diff_map( R22, [ R*cosh(rho)*cos(tau),R*cosh(rho)*sin(tau),R*sinh(rho)*cos(phi),R*sinh(rho)*sin(phi) ] , name='Phi' )
#Phi=AdS3.diff_map( R22, [ (R/(2*z))*(y^2-t^2+z^2+1),R*t/z,R*y/z,(R/(2*z))*(y^2-t^2+z^2-1) ], name='Phi' )

g=AdS3.lorentzian_metric('g')
g.set( Phi.pullback(h) )

#g=AdS3.lorentzian_metric('g')
#g.set( Phi.pullback(h) )

As you can see, the codes for computing the metric in the Poincare coordinates are commented. That's because I need the metric in both global and Poincare coordinates but I don't know how to associate both of them to the manifold. So one of them is commented at a given time. How can I associate more than one metric to a single manifold?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find some SageManifolds code for AdS spacetime, including the use of both global and Poincaré coordinates, here.
This is for ## AdS_4 ##, but I guess you can easily adapt it to ## AdS_3 ##.

1. What is an AdS3 metric?

An AdS3 metric is a type of metric that describes the geometry of three-dimensional anti-de Sitter spacetime. This type of metric is used in mathematical models to study quantum gravity and string theory. It is characterized by a negative cosmological constant, which results in a curved spacetime with a hyperbolic geometry.

2. What is SageManifolds?

SageManifolds is an open-source software library that provides tools for working with differential geometry and tensor calculus. It is built on top of the popular mathematics software, SageMath, and allows for the creation and manipulation of geometric objects, such as manifolds, metrics, and connections.

3. How can SageManifolds be used to study AdS3 metrics?

SageManifolds provides a variety of functions and methods for creating and analyzing AdS3 metrics. These include tools for computing curvature, geodesics, and isometries, as well as plotting and visualizing the metrics. It also allows for the manipulation of metrics using symbolic expressions and calculations.

4. What are some applications of AdS3 metrics?

AdS3 metrics have a wide range of applications in theoretical physics and mathematics. They are commonly used in studies of quantum gravity and string theory, as well as in the study of black holes and holography. They also have applications in geometry and topology, particularly in the study of hyperbolic manifolds.

5. Are there any limitations to using SageManifolds for AdS3 metrics?

SageManifolds is a powerful tool for working with AdS3 metrics, but it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for handling extremely large or complex metrics, and it may not have all the necessary tools for advanced research in this area. However, it is constantly being updated and improved, so these limitations may be addressed in future versions.