Advanced Engineering Maths: Is Erwin Kreysizg Enough?

In summary: I'm 1st year mechanical engineering student, I'm following "advanced engineering mathematics" by Erwin kreysizg. Is that book enough for the mathematical content for the next four years or else is there any more advanced math that i must take up after finishing erwin kreysizg.Kreyszig is comprehensive: "Kreyszig introduces engineers and computer scientists to advanced math topics as they relate to practical problems. It goes into the following topics at great depth differential equations, partial differential equations, Fourier analysis, vector analysis, complex analysis, and linear algebra/differential equations."In summary, the book is comprehensive and covers all the topics in depth. It should be enough for the mathematical content for the next
ajayguhan
I'm 1st year mechanical engineering student, I'm following "advanced engineering mathematics" by Erwin kreysizg. Is that book enough for the mathematical content for the next four years or else is there any more advanced math that i must take up after finishing erwin kreysizg.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kreyszig is comprehensive: "Kreyszig introduces engineers and computer scientists to advanced math topics as they relate to practical problems. It goes into the following topics at great depth differential equations, partial differential equations, Fourier analysis, vector analysis, complex analysis, and linear algebra/differential equations."

You will use this book throughout your career.

I don't think it teaches linear algebra in depth, but it has every topic depth when compared to many engineering math book.

Last edited:
The first chapters are a concise review of material which should have been presented in individual classes - calculus, differential equations, linear algebra. This is presented here as reference material required for the more advanced topics which are covered in the latter portions of the book.

Of course there are other books available ... there are even several "comprehensive" books like this one.

IMHO, you can never study too much linear algebra ... and no book has room for everything.

During my four years as an undergraduate engineering student, I took many math courses:
Calculus (several levels), Linear Algebra, Topology, Complex Variables, Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, and more, and each of those courses required a book itself.

I am highly skeptical that a single book will get you through all the math you need over the course of a four-year engineering program. Even if you are a math genius, you'd still need the books required for each course to do the problem sets.

DuncanM said:
During my four years as an undergraduate engineering student, I took many math courses:
Calculus (several levels), Linear Algebra, Topology, Complex Variables, Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, and more, and each of those courses required a book itself.

Can you tell what are all the math course you did...?

1. What is advanced engineering mathematics?

Advanced engineering mathematics is a branch of mathematics that combines mathematical theories, methods, and techniques with engineering principles and applications. It is used to solve complex problems in engineering and other related fields.

2. Who is Erwin Kreyszig and why is he important in advanced engineering mathematics?

Erwin Kreyszig was a German mathematician and professor who wrote the textbook "Advanced Engineering Mathematics," which is widely used in universities around the world. He is important in advanced engineering mathematics because his book covers a wide range of topics and provides detailed explanations and examples, making it a valuable resource for students and professionals.

3. Is Erwin Kreyszig's book enough to learn advanced engineering mathematics?

While Erwin Kreyszig's book is a comprehensive and highly regarded resource, it may not be enough for some individuals to fully grasp advanced engineering mathematics. It is recommended to supplement the book with other resources and practice problems to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. What are some common topics covered in advanced engineering mathematics?

Some common topics covered in advanced engineering mathematics include linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis, numerical methods, and Fourier analysis. Other topics may include partial differential equations, vector calculus, and probability and statistics.

5. How can advanced engineering mathematics be applied in real-world situations?

Advanced engineering mathematics has many practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and civil engineering. It can be used to solve problems related to fluid mechanics, structural analysis, control systems, and more. It is also used in research and development to design and improve new technologies and products.