Advise on MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, AlbertEi is a recent graduate with a BSc in theoretical physics who is seeking advice on pursuing a MSc in the field of quantum mechanics, general relativity, and/or string theory. They have found some interesting universities, including the University of Munich, Cambridge, ICL, and ETH Zurich, and are particularly interested in the Theoretical and Mathematical Physics program at the University of Munich. They are unsure about their chances of getting accepted and are looking for advice on how to increase their chances.
AlbertEi
Hi,

I graduated from the University of York with a BSc in theoretical physics with a first class honours. Due to circumstances I wasn’t able to apply for masters this year, but I really want to pursue further studies. I am mainly interested in doing an English taught MSc that deals with quantum mechanics, general relativity and/or string theory from a theoretical physics/applied mathematics point of view. Searching on the internet I found some very interesting universities such as the University of Munich (Theoretical and Mathematical Physics ), Cambridge (DAMTP), ICL (MSc in Physics or in Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces) and ETH Zurich (I am avoiding the USA universities due to lack of money). I like the courses because they focus on the fundamentals of physics (I care little about the application of physics), but if anybody knows any other alternative good universities than please let me know.

At the moment I am most interested in the Theoretical and Mathematical Physics programme offered the University of Munich, because it offers a two year course, combining a wide range of very interesting modules and 6 months of research. I do not know much about the research offered by the university and I was wondering if anybody has any information on this?

Furthermore, I would really like to know what you guys think my chances are of getting accepted by any of these universities. Keep in mind that I realized at a late stage that I wanted to do a MSc, therefore I have no extra research experience besides computational laboratory and my BSc project that I have done last year (so this would probably reduce my chances). But I do have (very) good marks for all the mathematics/mathematical physics, quantum mechanics and special relativity modules (and most other theoretical/mathematical based topics) and I am Dutch (I’ve heard that universities like to have international students for some reason).

Also, I sort of have no plans for this coming year (it’s too late to get accepted by any university at this point as far as I know), so does anybody has any realistic advice on what I could this year to increase my chances of getting accepted.

Thank you very much in advance,

AlbertEi

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear AlbertEi,

Congratulations on your first class honours degree in theoretical physics from the University of York! It is great to hear that you are interested in pursuing further studies in the field of quantum mechanics, general relativity, and/or string theory. The universities you have mentioned, such as the University of Munich, Cambridge, ICL, and ETH Zurich, are all highly reputable institutions with strong programs in theoretical physics and applied mathematics.

In terms of research opportunities at the University of Munich, I suggest reaching out to the faculty members in the Theoretical and Mathematical Physics program to inquire about their current research projects and potential opportunities for students. Additionally, you can also look into the research groups and labs at the university to get a better understanding of the ongoing research in your areas of interest.

As for your chances of getting accepted into these universities, it is difficult to say without knowing more about your overall academic profile and research experience. However, having good marks in relevant courses and being an international student can definitely work in your favor. As you mentioned, your lack of research experience may be a disadvantage, but you can use your computational laboratory experience and BSc project to demonstrate your skills and interest in research.

In terms of what you can do this year to increase your chances of getting accepted, I would suggest looking into research internships or assistantships at universities or research institutes in your field of interest. This will not only give you valuable research experience, but also help you build connections and potentially get recommendation letters from professors. You can also consider taking additional courses or online courses to further strengthen your knowledge and skills in your chosen field.

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of a MSc in theoretical physics and I hope you find the right program for you. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need more guidance.

Related to Advise on MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics?

1. What is the difference between theoretical physics and applied mathematics?

Theoretical physics focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain physical phenomena, while applied mathematics uses mathematical methods to solve real-world problems in various fields, including physics. Theoretical physics is more abstract and often involves developing new theories, while applied mathematics is more practical and involves applying existing mathematical tools to solve specific problems.

2. What skills are necessary for an MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics?

Strong mathematical skills, including knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are essential for an MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics. Additionally, proficiency in programming and computer skills, especially in software used for data analysis and simulations, is beneficial.

3. What career opportunities are available with an MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics?

An MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics can lead to various career paths, including research positions in academia, government, or private industry. Graduates can also pursue careers in data science, finance, engineering, and other fields that require strong mathematical skills.

4. How long does it take to complete an MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics?

The duration of an MSc program in theoretical physics/applied mathematics can vary depending on the institution and the student's course load. Generally, it takes two years of full-time study to complete the program. Part-time options may also be available, which can extend the duration of the program.

5. Are there any prerequisites for an MSc in theoretical physics/applied mathematics?

Most MSc programs in theoretical physics/applied mathematics require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, mathematics, or engineering. Some programs may also require specific undergraduate courses or a minimum GPA. It is best to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in before applying.