Should Aerodynamics Fundamentals Precede Compressible Aerodynamics?

In summary, as an aerospace/mechanical engineering student at UAH, it is necessary to take both "fundamentals of aerodynamics" and "compressible aerodynamics" courses, even though they are not prerequisites for each other. It is important to schedule them in a way that will allow for graduation in 4 years, as upper level courses are not offered every semester. It is recommended to consult with the professor for advice on how to approach these courses.
Davidkippy
I'm going to be an aerospace/mechanical engineering student at UAH next year and I am coming up with my four year plan. Two courses, "fundamentals of aerodynamics" and "compressible aerodynamics", are not prerequisites for each other, and they are both required. Based on your experience with these topics, is it necessary to take fundamentals before compressible? This is important because when I take compressible will determine which year I take my rocket propulsion class (something I am interested in, and may want to be involved in research at some point).

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidkippy said:
I'm going to be an aerospace/mechanical engineering student at UAH next year and I am coming up with my four year plan. Two courses, "fundamentals of aerodynamics" and "compressible aerodynamics", are not prerequisites for each other, and they are both required. Based on your experience with these topics, is it necessary to take fundamentals before compressible? This is important because when I take compressible will determine which year I take my rocket propulsion class (something I am interested in, and may want to be involved in research at some point).

Usually upper level courses are not offered every semester, so if one is not an explicit pre-req for the other, it is best to take them in whatever order they can be scheduled to maintain a path to graduate in 4 years. If you skip one to order them according to your preference, you may not be able to take it again in time to graduate.

I'm surprised that fundamentals is not a prerequisite for the compressible class. Talk to the professor and get his advice. Maybe you can pick up enough fundamentals on your own for the compressible class or maybe they are covered in the class.

Likes Nidum

1. What is an aerodynamics course?

An aerodynamics course is a course that focuses on the study of how air moves around objects, such as airplanes, cars, and buildings. It involves the principles of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and mathematics to understand and predict the behavior of air in motion.

2. What topics are typically covered in an aerodynamics course?

Topics that are typically covered in an aerodynamics course include basic fluid mechanics, Bernoulli's principle, lift and drag forces, airfoils, flow visualization, boundary layers, and wind tunnel testing. Advanced courses may also cover computational fluid dynamics and aerodynamic design.

3. What are some career opportunities for someone with an aerodynamics course background?

Someone with an aerodynamics course background can pursue a career as an aerospace engineer, automotive engineer, wind energy engineer, or research scientist. They may also work in industries such as aviation, automotive, renewable energy, or defense.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking an aerodynamics course?

The prerequisites for an aerodynamics course vary, but typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Some courses may also require previous coursework in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.

5. How can I apply the knowledge gained from an aerodynamics course in real-world situations?

The knowledge gained from an aerodynamics course can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing more efficient airplanes, improving the aerodynamics of cars to increase fuel efficiency, or optimizing the design of wind turbines. It can also be used in sports, such as cycling or skiing, to understand and improve performance. Additionally, an understanding of aerodynamics is crucial in the development of new technologies, such as drones and space vehicles.