1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aeronautical Engineering Career Benefits?

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    If I study AE will it enable me to get a job outside Aero Industry?
    Should I do Mech E instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of job?

4. Sep 22, 2014 #3
    Any other job apart from Aero Industry related

5. Sep 22, 2014 #4
    I am sorry if I failed to make my point clear.
    For example ..... car manufacturing industry or other engineering industries other than aeronautics industry

6. Sep 22, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, since it's the 21st century, I suppose some sort of flying car might be developed eventually, but if you are no longer particularly interested in flying machines, a transfer to Mech Eng is probably warranted.

7. Sep 22, 2014 #6
    So doing Aero wont get you anywhere other than Aero fields?

8. Sep 22, 2014 #7
    Please be a little detailed and try to be more informative on all your answers.

9. Sep 22, 2014 #8

donpacino

Gold Member

A degree in AE will not make it so you cannot get a regular ME job, as in most cases you will be qualified.
    However keep in mind that when comparing candidates for that regular ME job, employers may favor ME over AE

10. Sep 22, 2014 #9
    So does this go vice versa, where when comparing candidates for an AE job, employers may favour AEs ove MEs?

11. Sep 22, 2014 #10

donpacino

Gold Member

That really depends on the classes you take and the job itself, and as such the question cannot really be answered.

For example. If you take a few classes in aerospace controls, aircraft dynamics, etc... and then apply for an aircraft controls job, you may be favored over a mechanical engineer who has the theoretical know-how, but doesn't have the limited application specific knowledge that you have.

At the end of the day, if you really want to work on aerospace structures and systems, it might be better to go into aerospace engineering, however mechanical engineering really won't limit you.

I would recommend doing a side by side comparison of the two programs at a school, and see which you like better, or talk to a professor or upper level student.

12. Sep 22, 2014 #11
    Aeronautical Engineering is basically Mechanical Engineering with more emphasis on compressible fluid mechanics.

What you learn could also be applied to HVAC design, turbocharger design, wind turbines, steam turbines, and many more things. Even firearm designs can be an part of this. All of them have interesting problems that involve compressible fluids.

Or you could simply go for Mechanical Engineering and take an extra course or two to minor in Aeronautical Engineering.

13. Sep 23, 2014 #12
    what about dual degree

14. Sep 23, 2014 #13

donpacino

Gold Member

I don't think a dual degree would really benefit, as a lot of the classes cover the same material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook