After a BS in physics, what are the skills needed for employment?

In summary: I don't have any advice on that. It sounds like you're feeling a little discouraged. In summary, if you have quality engineering internship experience, it may not help your job prospects if you don't have any engineering experience. You should keep trying to find a job in engineering, even if you don't have any engineering experience.
brymcfly21
Hello all,
So I am looking for advice on what my next move should be after graduating with my bachelors in physics this May. I have quality engineering internship experience but every job I’ve applied to only wants to hire people with actually engineering experience and not entry level type people. I was also told by a staffing agency that a masters in mechanical engineering would not help my job prospects because experience is prioritized. For now I will be teaching high school physics.

Do you have any advice on how I can make my degree more marketable without any other experience like skills to develop? I am open to other careers as well that I can get with a physics degree and any additional certification I could get for a good paying jobs. Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
brymcfly21 said:
I have quality engineering internship experience but every job I’ve applied to only wants to hire people with actually engineering experience and not entry level type people.

Keep trying. The cost is low and the reward high. Unfortunately, the probability of a hire is also not great, so you'll need endurance. You're looking at a tough time, so keep applying to jobs, even as you explore other options and gain other skills.

There's folks from many careers here - physics (academia & industry), engineering, statistics, actuarial, data science, and more. Feel free to ask some more specific questions if you have some. Giving us any more info on your skills would help (programming langues? scientific instruments you're skilled with? etc.)

Note that there are very few areas of the economy hiring right now, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try..

How is "quality engineering internship experience" not "actual engineering experience"?

gwnorth said:
How is "quality engineering internship experience" not "actual engineering experience"?

I would suspect that employers are looking to hire those with >1 years of work experience (i.e. not fresh graduates).

Most engineering co-op and internship programs where I live give students exactly that. Students graduate with 12-24 months experience.

gwnorth said:
Most engineering co-op and internship programs where I live give students exactly that. Students graduate with 12-24 months experience.

That is certainly true in the province of Ontario in Canada (where I'm from), where you have schools like the University of Waterloo requiring all engineering graduates to pursue co-op, and offering co-op work experiences for students in all other programs. Or schools like University of Toronto (my alma mater) which offer the 1 year Professional Experience Year (PEY) internship program for full-time students in engineering and the sciences.

These programs, however, are not necessarily offered in many colleges/universities in the US. In such cases, an internship experience may be no longer than 4 months, taken during the summer holidays.

brymcfly21 said:
I have quality engineering internship experience but every job I’ve applied to only wants to hire people with actually engineering experience and not entry level type people.
If you're a recent grad, why aren't you applying for entry-level positions? That's what your qualified for.

brymcfly21 said:
I was also told by a staffing agency that a masters in mechanical engineering would not help my job prospects because experience is prioritized. For now I will be teaching high school physics.

Do you have any advice on how I can make my degree more marketable without any other experience like skills to develop?

Job markets are local, so it is possible that a masters in Mech E would not help your prospects in a given market served by that staffing agency, but I know of plenty of markets in the US where a masters in Mech E from a reputable ABET accredited program would help an applicant's job prospects.

Hiring demand also goes in cycles in most local markets. There are times in the cycle when demand for engineers tends to be focused on experience and skill with few inexperienced hires. Due to COVID-19 related business downturns, a lot of local markets are in this stage of their cycles right now. But there are also stages of the cycles where companies are looking for more entry-level engineers to enter their training programs.

Generally speaking it is best to make educational and training choices based both short and long term career needs, and with an eye toward both local job markets AND broader markets one may be applying in over the course of one's career.

Likes StatGuy2000 and Locrian
vela said:
If you're a recent grad, why aren't you applying for entry-level positions? That's what your qualified for.
I have, but then those employers who post an entry level engineering position ask me if I have any engineering experience even though it said entry level.

Likes PeroK
There are other jobs than engineering. When I graduated with a physics degree and saw all my engineering peers get what I considered at the time to be my dream job, I was immediately persuaded to think engineering was the only alternative. I don't even want to be an engineer anymore. From what I hear, engineers are stuck making spread sheets in Excel. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

A degree in physics is actually a really good foundation to build upon. It's akin to a degree in math. I would look into careers in data analytics and consulting. One of the consultants I worked with had a degree in sociology. If he can make six figures as a consultant, why can't you? A lot of data analytic jobs are looking for people who know Microsoft Excel and a little bit of programming, which you should already know. The best thing you can do is keep trying and broaden your search.

One mistake I made was not being aware of how hard I would actually have to try to finally get a job. I thought applying to 200 jobs over the coarse of a year meant that there was no hope left for me, but now I consider applying to about 100 per week or more to be an actual effort. I know someone who thought applying to 20 jobs was a lot and gave up. You need to put some serious effort into searching for a job. The people I worked with gave me 600 for their number of applications sent before getting hired. You want to do even more than that, since these are the people you will be competing with.

Last edited:
Here is one more thing to consider. Out of the hundreds of applications I send out, only a small fraction are actually viewed. So, it might not be that you are unqualified or lacking skills. You may have not been visible to a significant number of employers. You should be looking at this data, which job boards offer for your convenience. It could also be that your resume is not effectively representing your skills and your career goals. It could even be that some of those jobs were canceled, no longer active or any other reason. If you send out 200 applications, but only 10 of those are viewed, then effectively, you've really only applied to 10 jobs.

I recommend ramping up your job search efforts. If you think 200 or 300 jobs is a lot and by that time you should just give up, you're wrong. You should be applying to hundreds of jobs regularly. If you can't find jobs to apply to, you're not looking hard enough.

Note: I am only presenting possibilities based on my own ideas and experience, not hard facts

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
brymcfly21 said:
I have, but then those employers who post an entry level engineering position ask me if I have any engineering experience even though it said entry level.
I think "entry level" can mean anything from fresh grad, early career professional, "fresher" with some experience to early-to-mid career professional. I have found jobs requiring 0-2 years experience. Others requiring no experience at all. I understand the frustration, though.

1. What job opportunities are available for someone with a BS in physics?

A BS in physics can lead to a variety of job opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and technology. Some common job titles include research scientist, data analyst, engineering consultant, and high school or college physics teacher.

2. What technical skills are necessary for employment with a BS in physics?

Some technical skills that are important for employment with a BS in physics include proficiency in mathematics, data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory techniques. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of physics principles and theories.

3. Are there any specific computer skills that are useful for a career in physics?

Yes, computer skills are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics. Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, and C++ can be useful for data analysis and simulations. Familiarity with software such as Mathematica and LabVIEW may also be beneficial.

4. Are there any non-technical skills that are valuable for a career in physics?

Yes, non-technical skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication are essential for a career in physics. These skills are necessary for understanding and analyzing complex problems, collaborating with others, and presenting research findings effectively.

5. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree for employment with a BS in physics?

While a graduate degree may be required for certain positions, there are many job opportunities available for individuals with a BS in physics. With a strong foundation in physics and relevant technical skills, individuals can find employment in various industries. However, pursuing a graduate degree can open up more advanced job opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries.