Age of Sample: U-235 & U-238 Abundances

In summary, the isotope abundances of U-235 and U-238 in a sample are 0.72 and 99.27, respectively. Using the equation \frac{N_{238}(T)}{N_{235}(T)}=\frac{99.27}{0.72}, one can solve for the age of the sample. This assumes that the isotope abundances were equal when the sample was formed.
Purple Baron

Homework Statement

The isostopc abundances of a sample is U-235 and U-238 are 0.72 and 99.27 respectively; what is the age of the sample? (assume isotope abundance was equal when sample was formed)

Homework Equations

[itex]\lambda=\frac{ln2}{ t_{\frac{1}{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for U-238 [itex]N_{238}(T)=N_{238}(t)e^{\lambda _{238}t}[/itex]
U-235 [itex]N_{235}(T)=N_{235}(t)e^{\lambda _{235}t}[/itex]
T is time at present and t is time of sample formation.

diving the two equations gives
[itex] \frac{N_{238}(T)}{N_{235}(T)}=\frac{N_{238}(t)}{N_{235}(t)}e^{(\lambda _{238}- \lambda _{235})t}[/itex]

From the assumption, one can say [itex]\frac{N_{238}(t)}{N_{235}(t)}=1[/itex]
It's here where I'm not sure; do i just say that [itex]\frac{N_{238}(T)}{N_{235}(T)}=\frac{99.27}{0.72}[/itex] and solve for t or am I missing something? Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I can't get my latex to work, I can't seem to fix it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I fixed the two broken equations, but the first one looks odd.
Yes, just do that and solve for t.

Thanks for that, I fixed the first equation.

1. What is the age of the sample based on the U-235 and U-238 abundances?

The age of the sample can be determined by using the ratio of U-235 to U-238. As U-235 decays at a known rate, the higher the ratio of U-235 to U-238, the younger the sample is. This age determination method is known as radiometric dating.

2. How accurate is the age determination using U-235 and U-238 abundances?

The accuracy of age determination using U-235 and U-238 abundances depends on several factors, including the initial abundance of both isotopes, the decay rates, and the precision of the measurement. Generally, this method can provide accurate results within a range of 0.1-1% of the actual age.

3. Can other elements or isotopes be used to determine the age of a sample?

Yes, there are other elements and isotopes that can be used for age determination, such as carbon-14, potassium-40, and uranium-238. Each element or isotope has its own unique decay rate and abundance, making them suitable for different age ranges and types of samples.

4. How is the U-235 to U-238 ratio measured in a sample?

The U-235 to U-238 ratio is usually measured using mass spectrometry. This technique involves separating the isotopes based on their mass-to-charge ratio and then measuring the abundance of each isotope. The results can then be used to calculate the ratio and determine the age of the sample.

5. Are there any potential sources of error when using U-235 and U-238 abundances for age determination?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error that can affect the accuracy of the age determination using U-235 and U-238 abundances. These include contamination of the sample, incorrect assumptions about the initial abundance of the isotopes, and uncertainties in the decay rates. It is important to carefully consider and account for these potential errors when using this method for age determination.