Alone in VA: A Friday Night in a Hotel Room

• Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
In summary, Norman is stuck in a hotel room on a friday night, away from his wife, and is bored. He works in nuclear and particle physics and is bored. He has a fellowship from NASA, and is working on a radiation transport code. He is working on a project that is difficult and he is tired. He has a low IQ and is not good at math. He is 17 and has not learned calculus yet. He is bored and has had a hard time typing. He is thirsty and has had a hard time drinking water. He is 17 and has not learned calculus yet. He is tired and has a low IQ. He has a hard time drinking beer and is thirsty. He has a hard time typing and is
Norman
Well I am stuck in a hotel room on a friday night, away from my wife, sitting on PF drinking a Pabst. What a life I have. And this will be my life for the next 3 weeks... ever so fun. Any from Virginia, specifically the Hampton area?
Cheers,
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Canada.

You out of town doing work? What kind?

I am in Virginia visiting NASA LaRC. I have a fellowship through them and I am down here collaborating on some research. It is fun and interesting during the day, but then I get back to the hotel and am bored. I work in nuclear and particle physics on a radiation transport code developed at LaRC. Time for another Pabst Blue Ribbon!

I work in nuclear and particle physics on a radiation transport code developed at LaRC.

At least its not rocket science.

Oh...wait a sec...:confused:

You know how often I get the whole rocket science thing... the funny part is that rocket science isn't that difficult (as far as I know).

The codes takes a given particle spectrum and transports it through user defined materials to determine the materials shielding capabilities.

This can be re-said as I sit in front of a computer trying to decipher what people 10-15 years ago have written into this code, figure out if it is correct, ask myself can I do it better, then do it if I can... I also do some fundamental physics...

The codes takes a given particle spectrum and transports it through user defined materials to determine the materials shielding capabilities.

is that akin to you, adhering to "the code", taking a Pabst Blue Ribbon and transporting it through your bladder to determine the bladder's retaining capabilities?

trying to decipher what people 10-15 years ago have written into this code, figure out if it is correct, ask myself can I do it better, then do it if I can

why just 10-15 years. Heck Oktoberfest started October 12, 1810. 195 years!
As for it being correct...I don't see much room for error. Buy beer. Open beer. Drink beer. Repeat.

However, it sounds as though you are a trooper, always asking more of yourself, trying to improve yourself to "drink beer better".

There is no "if" Norman. You must BELIEVE you can drink beer better. If you believe you can drink beer better, you will drink beer better.

:-p

jimmie said:
is that akin to you, adhering to "the code", taking a Pabst Blue Ribbon and transporting it through your bladder to determine the bladder's retaining capabilities?

why just 10-15 years. Heck Oktoberfest started October 12, 1810. 195 years!
As for it being correct...I don't see much room for error. Buy beer. Open beer. Drink beer. Repeat.

However, it sounds as though you are a trooper, always asking more of yourself, trying to improve yourself to "drink beer better".

There is no "if" Norman. You must BELIEVE you can drink beer better. If you believe you can drink beer better, you will drink beer better.

yes, yes I can. I mean yes I WILL... in fact time for another!

Norman said:
Well I am stuck in a hotel room on a friday night, away from my wife, sitting on PF drinking a Pabst. What a life I have. And this will be my life for the next 3 weeks... ever so fun. Any from Virginia, specifically the Hampton area?
Cheers,
Ryan

god that sounds HARD. I'm 17 and haven't learned calculus yet. I wonder if I can ever do that oneday..I mean i had my IQ tested and its just 'average'..

QuantumTheory said:
god that sounds HARD. I'm 17 and haven't learned calculus yet. I wonder if I can ever do that oneday..I mean i had my IQ tested and its just 'average'..

I don't get it

Norman said:
I don't get it

you don't understand particle physics? :confused:

and what do the results of the research indicate?

3, 5, 6, beers is the max retention?

And what conclusions have you made based on the results?

"So as to 'max-out' the potential bladder retention capabilities, and taking into consideration that my 'collaborators' may request to 'assist' in the research, thereby reducing the spectrum of particular beers, I must ensure that there is a MINIMUM of 24 beers on-hand, 24 COLD beers on-hand, at any given point."

It was 3 beer before I hit the head, but I drink about 2 gallons of water a day, so I am very hydrated... I am just a thirsty guy I guess.

QuantumTheory said:
you don't understand particle physics? :confused:

No I didn't understand your post, you quoted my first post. It really doesn't take a lot of talent to sit in a hotel, type physicsforums.com in the browser and open up a beer.

Admittedly though, typing has increased in diffuculty the last half hour or so...

Admittedly though, typing has increased in diffuculty the last half hour or so...

Norman, no one said the road to "drinking beer better" and research into maxing-out the bladder retention capabilities would be easy.

Hang-in there. Norman, Hang-in there. Don't give-up now.

I am in it for the long haul
YEAH!

I am in it for the long haul

That's the spirit!

Because you know Norman, there are countless individuals depending on you and your important research. Your success tonight will inspire individuals generations from now to think "We are here now, as opposed to in the washroom, only because one individual a hundred years ago, Stormin' Norman, was determined to put his 'head' to work one night and discovered how to 'drink beer better'."

Norman said:
I am in Virginia visiting NASA LaRC. I have a fellowship through them and I am down here collaborating on some research. It is fun and interesting during the day, but then I get back to the hotel and am bored. I work in nuclear and particle physics on a radiation transport code developed at LaRC. Time for another Pabst Blue Ribbon!

You just said you do particle physics

The sad part is I have investigated "how to drink beer better." Discounting the beer funnel as too technologically advanced for a simple punk rocker from Wisconsin, I looked into the fastest way to drink beer from the container comes in. Bottles are difficult, major flow issues- longnecks are better. Cans were much worse before the advent of the wide gulp openning (which has found it's way into all major canned beverages now). With the advent of the wide openning to the can, I was able to put down a beer in under 5 seconds consistantly.

Major contributing factors to quick beer consumption from the wide mouthed can:

1. make sure the beer has had time to warm from fridge temp. It will hurt otherwise

2. get a comfortable stance- I always prefer the wide stance

3. control the breathing- relax the body- prepare for consumption of a lot of beverage

4. head must be all the way back and angle of can tilt is important. Different angles of the cans inclination to the horizontal makes a very large difference in the flow of the beer. This is the most important skill to be accomplished if you are to be successful

5. Do not swallow- simply let the beer flow down the throat

Repeat until you achieve the consumption of beer in less than 5 seconds and continue your practice to keep in top form.

I hope my wisdom makes a positive contribution to society someday...

Now that's what I am talking about!

Details.

Details of the journey. A bread-crumb trail of insight for future researchers to drink to.

It would not be possible for future researchers to drink beer better had it not been for your detailed analysis.

The job had to fall to someone, Norman. And apparently you are the chosen one. You are the sole trailblazer. The Alpha beer drinker, that by nature, drinks beer better!

All we can do now is hope that all future researchers take heed of your words, lest tonight's work be in vain.

Now that the work drinking is complete, perhaps its time for the play drinking.

You know the play drinking only begins with the phrase: Uhhh...one more, eh?

Related to Alone in VA: A Friday Night in a Hotel Room

1. What is the purpose of the study "Alone in VA: A Friday Night in a Hotel Room"?

The purpose of this study is to examine the psychological effects of spending a Friday night alone in a hotel room in the state of Virginia.

2. How was the data collected for this study?

The data for this study was collected through self-report measures, as well as video and audio recordings of the participants during their Friday night in the hotel room.

3. What were the main findings of the study?

The main findings of the study were that participants reported feeling increased levels of loneliness and boredom during their Friday night in the hotel room. They also reported a decrease in positive emotions and an increase in negative emotions.

4. Were there any significant differences between participants based on age or gender?

The study did not find any significant differences between participants based on age or gender. However, further research may be needed to explore these factors in more depth.

5. What are the implications of this study?

The implications of this study suggest that spending a Friday night alone in a hotel room, particularly in a new and unfamiliar location, can have negative psychological effects. This may have implications for individuals who frequently travel for work or those who may find themselves in similar situations. It also highlights the importance of social connections and the potential negative effects of isolation.