Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Compressor Free Air Delivery question

1. Jul 29, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

Currently I am undertaking a project and I am a little bit confused about the free air delivery (F.A.D.) of an air compressor because I need to purchase an air flow meter and don't want to buy something completely out of the ball park.

From the information sheet, the compressor has a maximum working pressure of 7.5 bar and produces a FAD of 1.14m^3/min.
    A note on the FAD states that data measured and stated at the following conditions:
    Air intake Pressure - 1 bar a (14.5 psia)
    Air intake Temperature - 20°C (68°F)
    Humidity - 0%(dry)

With the FAD of 1.14m^3/min, is that the volume flow rate of compressed air or of air that has already expanded back to atmospheric pressure? And in the diagram I supplied, is it reasonable to assume that the air has expanded by the time it reaches the flow meter and the flow rate reading would be approximately equal to the FAD.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Aug 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks, I think I have that part figured out.

The compressor I will be using has a maximum working pressure of 7.5 bar, will a flow meter with a max pressure rating of 6.9 bar be ok or should I look for a higher one?

Edit: I assume that I would just be able to adjust the working pressure of the compressor to under 6.9 bar and I should be fine?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Dec 9, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not quite sure how that relates to the question.

edit: This post appears to make no sense because it was in response to a spammer who has been deleted.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook