Air Compressor Free Air Delivery question

In summary, the conversation revolved around confusion about the free air delivery (F.A.D.) of an air compressor and the appropriate air flow meter to purchase. The compressor in question has a maximum working pressure of 7.5 bar and produces a FAD of 1.14m^3/min, with specific conditions for measurement. The question was whether the FAD is for compressed air or for air at atmospheric pressure, and if the flow meter reading would be similar to the FAD. The conversation also touched on the compatibility of a flow meter with a maximum pressure rating of 6.9 bar for the compressor.
gerry7
Hi all,

Currently I am undertaking a project and I am a little bit confused about the free air delivery (F.A.D.) of an air compressor because I need to purchase an air flow meter and don't want to buy something completely out of the ball park.

From the information sheet, the compressor has a maximum working pressure of 7.5 bar and produces a FAD of 1.14m^3/min.
A note on the FAD states that data measured and stated at the following conditions:
Air intake Pressure - 1 bar a (14.5 psia)
Air intake Temperature - 20°C (68°F)
Humidity - 0%(dry)

With the FAD of 1.14m^3/min, is that the volume flow rate of compressed air or of air that has already expanded back to atmospheric pressure? And in the diagram I supplied, is it reasonable to assume that the air has expanded by the time it reaches the flow meter and the flow rate reading would be approximately equal to the FAD.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140730_023413.jpg
    20140730_023413.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 999
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Thanks, I think I have that part figured out.

The compressor I will be using has a maximum working pressure of 7.5 bar, will a flow meter with a max pressure rating of 6.9 bar be ok or should I look for a higher one?

Edit: I assume that I would just be able to adjust the working pressure of the compressor to under 6.9 bar and I should be fine?

Last edited:
Froin1965 said:
PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
I'm not quite sure how that relates to the question.

edit: This post appears to make no sense because it was in response to a spammer who has been deleted.

Last edited:

1. What is Free Air Delivery (FAD)?

Free Air Delivery (FAD) is a term used to describe the volume of air that an air compressor can deliver at a specific pressure. It is typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) and is important in determining the efficiency and performance of an air compressor.

2. How is Free Air Delivery calculated?

The Free Air Delivery (FAD) of an air compressor is calculated by multiplying the compressor's displacement (volume of air it can compress in one rotation) by its efficiency (ratio of actual CFM output to theoretical CFM output).

3. Why is Free Air Delivery important?

Free Air Delivery (FAD) is important because it determines how quickly and efficiently an air compressor can supply air to power tools and equipment. It is also a key factor in selecting the right size and type of air compressor for specific applications.

4. How does altitude affect Free Air Delivery?

Altitude can affect Free Air Delivery (FAD) as the air density decreases at higher altitudes. This means that the compressor's displacement will be less effective in compressing air, resulting in a lower FAD. It is important to consider the altitude when calculating the FAD of an air compressor.

5. Can the Free Air Delivery of an air compressor be increased?

Yes, the Free Air Delivery (FAD) of an air compressor can be increased by increasing its displacement or improving its efficiency. This can be achieved by using a larger compressor or implementing design improvements, respectively. However, it is important to note that increasing the FAD may also result in a higher energy consumption and maintenance requirements.