1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air flow in an open system

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have a question relating to normalizing air flow data in an open system…

The system comprises of a regulator feeding 2barg line pressure to a valve (controlling the downstream flow), a variable restriction, a second valve (normally open) and a flow meter. Pressure readings are taken upstream and downstream of the restriction – these generate the line pressure and differential pressure readouts.

Because of the layout, the restriction in the pipe work generates backpressure as the flow increases – as such, a ‘0 barg’ test can end up with 1 barg of line pressure…

We apply a calculation to the data to ‘normalize’ it at the generated temperatures and pressures.
    This is the equation to normalize the data used: QN = Q × (Pa / Pref) × (Tref / T) - sourced from
    The problem is that we wish to compare the data to other data sets on a uniform scale (set temperature and set pressure)…
    As the generated data is produced with a variable line pressure, I presume that another calculation is needed to remove this variability before entering the uniform values into the normalizing calculation…??

For example:
    I wish to compare the following data at 0.5barg line pressure and 15°C to create a flow curve
    0 l/min, 0mbar dP at 0barg line pressure, 10°C
    20 l/min, 226mbar dP at 0.2bar line pressure, 9°C
    42 l/min, 502mbar dP at 0.38bar line pressure, 9°C
    The equation can be applied to each line – generating a ‘normalized’ value.
    The desired conditions can be applied to each line – generating ‘normalized’ values… but would these really be accurate for comparison as the dP was generated with different line pressures?

(I'm finding this a little difficult to explain exactly what I mean...)

Thanks for your time :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    Hopefully this will explain a little better...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5466/query1.jpg [Broken]
    (Illustrative results)
    The actual data shows an increase in line pressure and a decrease in temperature during the test where the flow rate and differential pressure are recorded.
    The ideal conditions are set at a static temperature and line pressure.
    The Nm3/hr in each data table shows the difference changing these values makes.

My query is: because the temperature and line pressure recorded are not static, are the generated results accurate? Or does the calculation work regardless as each point is individually converted? - the fact that the data is part of a data set and across different temperatures and pressures does not matter...

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook