Air Glider Lab Homework: Graph Vel vs Time to Calculate g

• Thread starter itwasanacident
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Lab
In summary, the lab book asks for a graph of velocity vs time and using the slope to calculate g. The experiment involved timing an air glider at various distances (0.20m, 0.40m, 0.50m, 0.75m, and 1.00m) with a set height of 0.002035m. The average times were 3.91s, 6.11s, 6.50s, 8.22s, and 9.48s, respectively. The equations used were g = 2S/(t^2 sinx) and instantaneous v(sub i)= (2*y(sub i))/ t(sub i). However, the calculated
itwasanacident

Homework Statement

The lab book asks me to graph velocity vs time and use the slope to calculate g, than compare it to the experimental value of g.

The air glider was timed at various distances with a set height. The height was 0.002035m and the distances were 0.20m 0.40m, 0.50m, 0.75m and 1.00m . The average times with respect to distances were ( 0.20m,3.91s) (0.40m,6.11s)(0.50,6.50s)(0.75m,8.22s)(1.00m,9.48s).

Homework Equations

g = 2S/(t^2 sinx)
instantaneous v(sub i)= (2*y(sub i))/ t(sub i)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to find the experimental value of g, but I have no idea how to work out the velocity. I think I am using the wrong y( sub i ). I built a triangle and made the distance (ex: 0.20m) the hypotenuse and used the angle 0.117 degrees; which i got from using 1 meter as the hypotenuse and 0.002035m as the opposite side and using arcsin to find x. The opp ( what i assume is the new height) i get from using hyp*sin x =opp for 0.20m is 0.000408. I assume this is the y (sub i) and i plug this into the equation v (sub i ) = (2*y(sub i))/ t(sub i) using the y i got from the last calculation and the mean time, so v(sub i ) = (2*(0.000408))/3.91 and i get 0.000208. I do this again for each value and i get in order; 0.000208,0.000266,0.000314,0.000372,0.000431 and plot this on excel and the slope i get is 4E-5, this number is no where near 9.8 so I am sure I am doing something wrong. I am just not sure, any help as soon as possible is appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by set height - always released from the same height? Distances horizontal from the release point or vertical downwards from the point where it was released out of rest or along glide path?

Last edited:

1. What is an air glider lab?

An air glider lab is an experiment designed to investigate the relationship between the velocity of an object and the time it takes to travel a certain distance. This is typically done by launching an air glider and recording its motion using a motion sensor and data collection software.

2. How is the velocity of the air glider measured in this lab?

The velocity of the air glider is measured by a motion sensor, which uses ultrasonic waves to detect the position of the glider at different time intervals. The data is then collected and graphed to show the relationship between velocity and time.

3. What is the purpose of calculating g in this lab?

The purpose of calculating g in this lab is to determine the acceleration due to gravity. By analyzing the data collected from the air glider's motion, we can use the relationship between velocity and time to calculate the acceleration and compare it to the accepted value of g (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How is the graph of velocity vs time used to calculate g?

The graph of velocity vs time is used to calculate g by analyzing the slope of the line. The slope of the line represents the acceleration of the air glider, and since acceleration is directly proportional to g, we can use the slope to calculate the value of g.

5. What are some possible sources of error in this lab?

Some possible sources of error in this lab include air resistance, friction on the air glider's track, and the accuracy of the motion sensor. It is important to minimize these errors by conducting multiple trials and taking the average value, as well as ensuring the equipment is properly calibrated and the experiment is conducted in a controlled environment.